Looking for something more aggressive...

rjustice7

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

Right now I have a b. albopilosum, c. fasciatum, and a g. aureostraita. I want to have four T's by the time I head back to college...I want something more aggressive. My c. fasciatum is a fiesty little sucker, but not so aggressive...I'm thinking about stepping up. I'm leaning towards an L. Parahybana...what do y'all think? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

-Rob

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L. parahybana can be rather skittish and a little defensive, but definitely a great display spider and they get huge! Great choice IMO. :clap:

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want something that gets big and aggressive. Then consider a Phormictopus cancerides. I have 2 and they are more aggressive than Lasiodora parahybana plus almost get as big.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
L. parahybana can be rather skittish and a little defensive, but definitely a great display spider and they get huge! Great choice IMO. :clap:
I second this, one of my favorites, I had a male that was psycho though.

Ace Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice start to the collection Rob. I don't have a L. Parahybana but I can offer some advice on aggressive T's. Two words: OLD WORLD. My favorite aggressive T, along with many others on this forum is the P. murinus aka the OBT. They are fairly cheap, readily available, and very aggressive, not to mention the coloration is striking and they produce a lot of beatiful webbing. I wouldn't trade mine for the world!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I love Ceratogyrus species. Horned little demons!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I second P cancerides. I also second P murinus and the Ceratogyrus genus. Ditto on L para being a little overly skittish, lol. Mine is a little freakball that flips out every time i open the lid.

The P cancerides is VERY aggro towards prey but I haven't really gotten any threats out of her yet. They grow quick and have this cool purplish hue to them.

P murinus is uber defensive and colorful as they get but also skittish and pet-holish. I don't see much of mine.

I have two C darlingi slings and they're pretty cool. Very active and interesting but they burrow a lot. I probably won't be seeing much of them either as they grow.

My recommendation? P cancerides. It's the only t I have that's performed a vertical leap to grab a roach right out of my tongs.

rjustice7

Arachnopeon
A. Geniculata...

What about an A. Geniculata as opposed to an L. Parahybana? Does anyone know how they compare? I don't think I want a P. Murinus at this time...a little too aggressive, although I'll probably make it my 5th or 6th...I dunno.

I have heard the A. Geniculata is somewhat more aggressive than the T's I have now...but I'm inclined to believe I would have a little more fun with the L. Parahybana...although I must say etown 411 and the others about have me convinced on the P. Cancerides...the leap thing for the roach...that moves me lol.

Thanks...

-Rob

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll second the OBT vote. I don't have any parahybana yet (not a huge fan of hair kickers) but I can attest to how cool the P. murinus are. Awesome color, they think they're 10 ft. tall, super, super easy care, awesome webs and voracious eaters.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I think the geni doesn't grow as big as the para, but has more colour. Their agressivity is somewhat similar, the geni may be more aggressive. I also think that the geni's venom is stronger. Personally I like the para better.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Genics get pretty big. Trust me, a bulky 8" T is still very impressively large. They're pretty fang happy and throw threat displays at the drop of a hat. They're also slow moving when compared to something like P murinus and thus a little easier to control. They're great looking t's (black & white w/ red) and grow pretty quickly.

Actually a pretty good first meanie. They have a lot in common with P cancerides but i'd say the latter is a bit faster.

DustinGoliath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys,

Right now I have a b. albopilosum, c. fasciatum, and a g. aureostraita. I want to have four T's by the time I head back to college...I want something more aggressive. My c. fasciatum is a fiesty little sucker, but not so aggressive...I'm thinking about stepping up. I'm leaning towards an L. Parahybana...what do y'all think? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

-Rob

Well, not to toot the old horn, but I have a nice 5"-6" Haplopelma Longipes(Vietnam Tiger) female for sale for 35$! Friggin vicious! I dread packing her as her brother was a handful. Dont get much more attitude than a Haplo. Check out my for sale. Sorry, I know that was shameless, but do check out Haplos reguardless. They are quite evil:evil: When I first got her, she threw a threat display that almost put her on her bach and then stayed that way for like ten minutes. Awsome. I dont know if its true, but Ive heard the Longipes are the fastest and most aggresive of the Haplos. Anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 6 inch female Acanthosurria Geniculata and a 5.5 inch female Lasiodora Parahybana. Not one of them as yet made an attempt to bite me. The uricating hair on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most irrating...both are a ten! The Lasiodora parahybana does not kick hairs and I have to shower everytime I hold her. She oftens comes from under her log to "investigate" when I do cage cleaning but never defensive. The Acanthosurria Geniculata will continue to kick her rump until I put her down but will not go into any "DEFENSIVE" posture. You cannot and will not go wrong with either one OR both!

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L. Parahybana???

Maybe I'm in the minority but all of my personal experiences with L.P. concluded with them being a rather docile, though slightly skittish, T.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hairmetalspider...I guess I am in the minority class with ya! My Laisodora Parahybana is docile. ITCHY...but docile.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus!!!

The best all around T's in my opinion. Out all the time, aggressive, eat in front of you and absolutely beautiful! In my experience they are terrestrial, burrowing and arboreal. I'd say about 90% terrestrial being out in front of you, 9% burrowing being tucked away with the leg and pedipalps showing and 1% arboreal climbing all the way to the top of the enclosure. If you like an occasional rush from your animals than these are the critters for you! They go insane when you move them from enclosures. They are quick, jump and run in any direction! Left, right, horizontally, vertically. I've spent hours at a time just watching and learning her behavior. She's new and I haven't caught on completely yet but I've learned a lot.

DustinGoliath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best all around T's in my opinion. Out all the time, aggressive, eat in front of you and absolutely beautiful! In my experience they are terrestrial, burrowing and arboreal. I'd say about 90% terrestrial being out in front of you, 9% burrowing being tucked away with the leg and pedipalps showing and 1% arboreal climbing all the way to the top of the enclosure. If you like an occasional rush from your animals than these are the critters for you! They go insane when you move them from enclosures. They are quick, jump and run in any direction! Left, right, horizontally, vertically. I've spent hours at a time just watching and learning her behavior. She's new and I haven't caught on completely yet but I've learned a lot.
Oh I cant wait to have one of these!!!!!!