Glue Traps

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"T"s and Glue Traps

I read a concern about a loose "T" getting stuck in a rodent glue trap.

In my company I use non-stick cooking spray to unstick snakes and lizards from glue traps used by home owners and pest control companys.
I spray the animal and gently roll the animal and the non-stick immediately fills in and the animal is released.

I was thinking this could be done with "T"s or "Pedes" if they get loose and happen to get caught in one.

I know they are delicate but think it could work with two people.
One person "pins" the "T" with their fingers and the other sprays the non-stick and GENTLY lifts the the stuck parts with an orange pick or wood sculping tool.

I dont use glue traps but if you do, there is a chance your "T" is gonna get caught if it escapes.

Last edited:

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read a concern about a loose "T" getting stuck in a rodent glue trap.

In my company I use non-stick cooking spray to unstick snakes and lizards from glue traps used by home owners and pest control companys.
I spray the animal and gently roll the animal and the non-stick immediately fills in and the animal is released.

I was thinking this could be done with "T"s or "Pedes" if they get loose and happen to get caught in one.

I know they are delicate but think it could work with two people.
One person "pins" the "T" with their fingers and the other sprays the non-stick and GENTLY lifts the the stuck parts with an orange pick or wood sculping tool.

I dont use glue traps but if you do, there is a chance your "T" is gonna get caught if it escapes.
Well, if the T doesn't pull its leg off before you get there, this makes sense.

I've had a gerbil get caught in one of those and i don't see the need to pin particularly. In the case of a tarantula you can probably just pour some liquid cooking oil in the trap so that it covers the attached foot. The sticky stuff dissolves pretty dang fast in oil, and the T will free itself when it can. Tarantulas can shed legs if they want to, and I bet touching the T at all would give just that result.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, if the T doesn't pull its leg off before you get there, this makes sense.

I've had a gerbil get caught in one of those and i don't see the need to pin particularly. In the case of a tarantula you can probably just pour some liquid cooking oil in the trap so that it covers the attached foot. The sticky stuff dissolves pretty dang fast in oil, and the T will free itself when it can. Tarantulas can shed legs if they want to, and I bet touching the T at all would give just that result.
Maybe, but my thought was it would be worth a try to save a nice "T", not that there are not nice "T"s.

But the two people idea is so the holder can keep the "T" from putting its foot back into the trap. I guess you can cover the trap with oil that would probably work.

aracnochicken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
traps

I don't think it would work for the simple fact that a lot of animals trying to chew at the glue . My mother had a rat in her enclosed pool area, and I tried everything to catch this thing with no luck . I had to resort to a glue trap and when I found it it looked like it tried to chew its way out and got its face stuck in the glue and died . I think a T would strugle to much and end up completely in the glue , not to mention the stress it would encounter. This is JMO of course .

Last edited:

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think it would work for the simple fact that a lot of animals trying to chew at the glue . My mother had a rat in her enclosed pool area, and I tried everything to catch this thing with no luck . I had to result to a glue trap and when I found it it looked like it tried to chew its way out and got its face stuck in the glue and died . I think a T would strugle to much and end up completely in the glue , not to mention the stress it would encounter. This is JMO of course .
Yep, sometimes that is the way it goes.

I have taken allot of skinks, other lizards and snakes out of the traps and they did fine. I have also taken squirrels out of them, one squirrel looked like a soccer ball, he had four glue traps stuck to him and he was very angry. His face was held down by the glue (the home owner wanted me to free him)it took some time but I got him out.

I think the method could very well work on a "T" but one would have to be very very careful, the biggest problem I see is the abdomens, im not gonna use my "T" to test it though:)

I really appreciate your opinion, thank you

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would NEVER work!!!

Yes vertebrates like snakes, lizards, rodents, etc. can make it. I've never seen a vert die in a trap. But I've never seen one invert survive in one. They have too high of a will power and such a weak body. If you found a live spider in a trap they would just shed legs like already mentioned. It wouldn't come out with legs or its body would just be stuck and it would've pulled itself to shreds.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What you aren't considering is that a T's book lungs are underneath. Once it's underside touches the glue trap there's no hope for it. Cover those book lungs with oil, cooking spray or glue and it will die. If it starts struggling and losing legs it will fall. You'd have to find it while it is still upright, slide something under it or shove soft substrate under it to keep the lungs clear of the glue and then oil the legs. I've seen where mice got stuck on those traps and when they finally collapsed and their faces got stuck they literally pulled their eyes out of the sockets because the eyes stuck to the glue. No amount of cooking spray will fix that. I never use them unless I intend the critter I'm after to die.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What you aren't considering is that a T's book lungs are underneath. Once it's underside touches the glue trap there's no hope for it. Cover those book lungs with oil, cooking spray or glue and it will die. If it starts struggling and losing legs it will fall. You'd have to find it while it is still upright, slide something under it or shove soft substrate under it to keep the lungs clear of the glue and then oil the legs. I've seen where mice got stuck on those traps and when they finally collapsed and their faces got stuck they literally pulled their eyes out of the sockets because the eyes stuck to the glue. No amount of cooking spray will fix that. I never use them unless I intend the critter I'm after to die.
oh yeah,I know what you are saying, I have considered those things, I'm just saying there may be the possibility this would work but of course the circumstance would dictate the success of the incident. This is merely a last ditch thing.

If there is one thing ive learned its NEVER say never until you have tried.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yuck. Glue traps are bad. But it's not clear to me that oil would wick up into the book lunks or that they would necessarily all get plugged if it got in the sticky. Guess no one wants to try.

But you make a good point that if it happened, slower the better. As little oil as possible, only where needed. And probably even that wouldn't work.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The oil would not have to wick up. One of the effects of glue traps is that they quickly cause the animal to become exhausted and collapse. The T would be flat in the glue and suffocating after a short time.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If one does have to get a tarantula out of one of these traps, be *extra* careful about not getting any oil on the abdomen. Oil sprays are used against insects effectively because oil spreads out, covering their air supply. This would probably be even more lethal to spiders because they have fewer openings to air than insects, so it would be easier to clog them with the oil.

Also... would a spider get stuck in one of these anyway? It seems that most wouldn't be heavy bodied enough to sink far into the glue - plus they're covered in hairs that could break off in the glue, allowing them to escape.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also... would a spider get stuck in one of these anyway? It seems that most wouldn't be heavy bodied enough to sink far into the glue - plus they're covered in hairs that could break off in the glue, allowing them to escape.
Yep, when I do my attic inspections I find glue traps loaded with everything, bugs to mammals. With "T"s, I think once their tarsus touches it they might sense it and move away if they are walking slow.
I do not know if the traps have different glue consistency per manufacturer. They might though, some for rats some for mice, I'll have to check it out.

Thank for your opinions all:)

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just read a thread response by waldo,
Ogh dear lord
Its about loose crickets and she mentions glue traps for Hobo spiders.

Last edited: