scorpion handling Vs. Tarantula handling

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a while I always watched people handle their T's and scorpions. From everything that I have seen and read about is complicated. I allways hear people say that tarantulas is more predictable when it comes to handling. The thing is is that I always hear a story that states that their tarantulas was really calm when they take it out of their enclosure and then it can turn and bite for no reason. When I watched people handle P. imporators I have never seen a pinch or a sting unless they you made a wrong move. So to me it seems that some scorpions are more predictable than tarantulas. I know that you are not suppose to handle scorps (I dont myself) but it seems intersting. Has anyone ever thought about this?

If a beginner is reading this scorpions is not for handling.

Last edited:

scorpion josh

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha i dont care either way i dont touch mine at all. i got 1 emp and 2 a.australis's so that never crosses my mind lol

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish people would not post videos of others doing this....even if they are handling emps. The truth is that you cannot shade the fact that you could have an allergic reaction to the sting even if the scorp is not hot. Seeing videos like this often implies to others that it is a common practice. Well, it isn't. On the other hand, it is a free country so people can do what they want.

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a flat rock scorpion that you literally have to poke and i mean poke hard (not that i do it) to get any defensive reaction out of him, when i take him out (which i dont do often) its hard as heck to get him off my hand he holds on for dear life. The worst he has ever done to me is a pinch ive never actually seen him raise his tail in threat posture. I also agree however with not handling scorps i dont handle any of my other ones and i have emps, because it is in fact true that you never kno if you will have an allergic reaction or not. The only reason i handle the flat rock is because hes so darn nice. (not suggesting all are)

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
IMO if i had to handle one, i would choose scorps because all a T has to do is bite straight down, and scorps cant really attack things directly below it...

Last edited:

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Plus T's have two fangs, so it's almost like twice the sting of a scorp (referring to a scorp such as a P. imp maybe.. lots of variables). I've never been tagged by any of my scorps yet or my T, so I consider myself to be lucky! I always put some sort of advisory on my YouTube videos about scorpion handling.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Even if I knew my H. a.'s and V. spins wouldn't sting me, I still would not handle them. They are too damn FAST. Put one on your hand and it's gone. As far as Ts go, I'm with Josh all the way.

David

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Even if I knew my H. a.'s and V. spins wouldn't sting me, I still would not handle them. They are too damn FAST. Put one on your hand and it's gone. As far as Ts go, I'm with Josh all the way.

David
thanks david, im glad someone dislikes T's as much as i do

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think skittishness or defensiveness really depends on the animal, the person holding them and any other people in the room. Handling any venomous creature is complicated. Your animals may be calm... you may be calm... but, man, if someone, like, sneezes (lol) it could be all over and your calm animal just bit you because it doesn't like air being puffed at it. It freaked out, bit you, ran and then fell off your arm and went splat on the floor... okay possibly a worse case scenario.

I've handled a fair share of Ts but only P imps as far as scorps go. I have seen people handle Desert Hairys and/or Flat Rocks, though. I wouldn't say any of those are more skittish than the others... and I've never witnessed a bite, sting or an animal getting hurt from falling or something like that.

I does worry me with P imps that they can not cling on to human skin worth anything... you really have to be diligent when handling them as they can fall very easily if you're not.

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpions use their tails for balance, if they start to tip or stumble they often right themselves with the pointy end.

I *almost* got stung by my emporer when changing a tank because he slipped on my arm and caught himself with his stinger. I won't be handling him for a long time, if ever.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, well, my first experience in handling an emp involved my friend putting one in my hand. When it started climbing towards the underside of my arm I was thinking, "Oh, scorpions are like tarantulas, they can hang on upside down." Nope. Guy hit the carpet. Somehow didn't get hurt, though... I was standing so he had a ways to fall. Now I know. Could have been a really stupid learning experience, though.

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
when i dropped my emp accidently once ( i was over his cage, so he landed inside) after he hit the ground venom started to drip off of his tail and he has been super skiddish ever since:(

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I honestly prefer handling more of my scorpions (when I had my full collection, not just a few species, all of which are dangerous lol). There's very few T's in my collection I enjoy holding, the whole climbing walls/arms thing sort of makes it a pain some times, whereas scorps are more easy to control.

By handling I don't even necesarilly mean "free handing" it. I use tongs and other tools even if i'm handling something as simple as an emp to avoid damage to the animal and escapes.

If you decide to handle, keep in mind your main mission is no longer to try and not get stung (all though getting stung would suck!) but it is to protect the scorp/T from undue damage that it wouldn't have received if you had not chosen to handle it.

That means if you feel the courage to hold your B. jacksoni sub-adult and it tags you three times, don't spaz out and fling him across the room. The pain might kick in fast, but you need to have the quick thinking to safely get him back in something (I keep a deli or rubber made handy at all times).

For the record I've been dealing with inverts for 10+ years now, and as lame as this sounds, I feel I can almost anticipate their next move. I've free handled quite a few things out of interest (or drunkenness) but nothing deadly. I have an EpiPen (epinephrine) near by in case Allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) starts to set in. Anyone thinking of handling anything with venom should know the signs of this and how to treat it.

I'm making a video series covering all aspects of the hobby and I guess I will do safety/handling some time soon. The problem is my collection only has like 7 species in it at the moment (argh why did I sell them off last year!!!), and they all pack quite a punch.

Stay safe and don't over do it!

praetorian2150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got an emperor and hes always giving me threat postures. then again he is a youngster(approx. 4 inches). im gonna wait for awhile to handle him