Project: Myths and Facts

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am doing a project for a class and I am looking for ideas. What I want to do is a PowerPoint presentation on tarantulas dispelling some of the myths out there as well as giving facts. I want to be able to incorporate some movie clips and photos. Any suggestions will be helpful. Time is of the essence since this project has to be started Tuesday and completed by Thursday. Thanks in advance for any help.

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Myth #1: All tarantulas have an extremely poisonous bite that has a good chance of killing you.

Even I bought into this one when I was younger.

Myth #2: All tarantulas are ferocious and will go out of their way to attack humans.

Some people really do demonize the things they fear.

Myth #3: The only good tarantula is a dead tarantula.

Unless it fits the typical 'cute and cuddly' profile of a wild animal, there are people who will not think conservation of these creatures is really a priority, ignoring the fact that they have an important part to play in their ecosystem, controlling insect populations, etc. Ironically, the polar bear, which is likely to kill a person if it finds one, gets a lot of 'awws...' and people on its side, because it's fuzzy.

I'm sure you can come up with more on your own - just think about your feelings towards animals that you are uncomfortable with, chances are if you think certain things about other animals, people have thought them about Ts.

Sharks are another example of a demonized, misunderstood animal - you can probably find some ideas on pages about them.

Best of luck!

Greensleeves

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Things to include if you have enough time:

*Re-generation of lost limbs
*Pictures of the eye-pleasers; GBB, Lividum etc etc "oooh looky a blue spider!"
*Spider homes; Burrows, Trees etc perhaps comparisons to the web styles of Araneidae 's
*Ability for some species to co-exist with one another, though go lightly on this as to avoid the impression of 'spider families'
*Maturnal instincts
*How they have no skeleton; perhaps take in a spare exuvium to 'pass around'
* Urticating hairs

Hope they help, if you want more suggestions just ask, though I don't want to suggest too many and overwhelm the project

You could post the final thing on here

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I asked that same question a few months ago, and have just finished my book "The Truth About Tarantulas." It has been edited by the ATS, would you like an e-copy of it?

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
I asked that same question a few months ago, and have just finished my book "The Truth About Tarantulas." It has been edited by the ATS, would you like an e-copy of it?
You wrote a book on Tarantulas? That's just awesome! Every library should have that one!

Greensleeves

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, I'm working on the printing right now, and I plan on donating copies to local schools and libraries... as many as I can depending on price of printing! I WILL sell a bunch I guess... to help cover the costs!

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sell them on this site. I would certainly buy one, and I'm sure others would too.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
THAT would have to be approved by Mr. and Mrs. Internet!!!=D

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
APPROVED!

Hey Terri,

That is really great! Feel free to go ahead and sell away on this site. You can post in the classifieds. Best of luck with your book as it should make a fine addition to everyone's collections! :D

Debby

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One fact that we find interesting is that Tarantula fangs were tipped with silver and gold and sold as souvenier toothpics in the old west. At least that is what they said on one of the Discovery shows we have somewhere on tape. We have tried to find some, but been unsuccessful.

-Jill