Looking for advice on breeding

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok.... I've been keeping various species for over 15 years but never got around to actually trying to breed any of them. I'm looking for advice on easy species to breed, including info on what months they breed, how many slings they usually produce, and general "how to" kind of advice so I don't screw it up! :D

I read a thread regarding avics and was wondering if that holds true with most all avic species about them being easy to breed and good mammas, or if that was just in refferrence to avic avic?:confused:

I have an A. seemani that I'm fairly certain is a mature fem, and a juvi Brachypelma albopilosum that I'd like to eventually try breeding since is was sold to me as a sexed fem if anyone can offer info on breeding those.

Thanx!:D

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ummm... hello?

Ok, I KNOW there are a lot of you guys out here who can answer this...

All I need is some info on breeding some of the more common species.

Please? :confused:

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...Is there some sort of code of silence aimed at limiting the number of breeders that I should know about here or what? I'm not trying to get in to the trade and become professional competition here or nuthin', I just thought it would be kewl to try breeding some of my T's...

Still waiting to hear back from someone who's bred some of the common species please....?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
try just asking a specific question... and I do believe that all avics are fairly easy to breed, seemani im not sure about

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As JJJ said specific question would help but in general.

The actual breeding part of getting them to do the nasty is a piece of cake.

Yes the mothers tend to be better than most species as in not eating the eggs etc.

Clutches are kind of small being in the 100 to 150 range most often sometimes smaller.

As to how to just have the females well fed and out of a molt for at least a couple of months before introducing the male. Usually they will hook up right away and he will leave without her trying to kill him.

Seemani are a different story as they haven't been bred too many times. Personally I haven't gotten hold of a male yet to try with so I can't offer much help on that one.

Phil

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks

Appriciate the input greatly.:D

Ok, specific questions...:rolleyes: (choosing words carefully)

Starting with A. avic, but these questions are worded so that they can apply to what ever species any of you have bred or know how to breed:

1: Is there a specific season / time of the year that females are receptive to breeding, and if so, when? (I don't wanna inadvertantly "feed" a male to a fem by introducing it "outside of mating season".

2: How do I know for certain when a fem is mature and physically ready to be mated?

3: Is there any trick to getting this species to lay an eggsac that you can suggest? (...such as temp adjustments over a certain time frame, adequate depth of substrate for laying inside the burrow, humidity changes, etc...?)

4: Do mature males of this species get tibial spurs, and if not, how do I recognise a mature male?

Same questions of course for any of the other more common / easily bred species that are readily availible. I'm open to info on breeding ANY species that has a decent success rate of producing slings so if you know how to breed a species I'd love to get any info you have, starting of course with the specific questions noted in this post.

Thanks again, I REALLY appriciate any and all info provided.:D

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's 2 and 4:
#2. I judge maturity buy age and size. This varies from species to species. I would say she is mature at three years old at adult size (whatever that is for the particular species). Keep in mind that some species grow faster or slower than others. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

#4. Not all species have tibial spurs when they mature into a male. All do have swollen palpal bulbs. They look like boxing gloves. Look for these in a male and you will know if it's mature. They are not very hard to miss. Do a search on this site and you will find a lot of pictures showing them.
Mike

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the best breeding advice i ever recived. Works for herps, inverts and other basic things. (Dosnt work for everthing thought)

Ready...

Are you sure?/

ok!

Just Feedem and Breedem.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brandon:

Problem in the "just feedem and breedem" line of thought is that if I try to "breedem" with a fem that is not in season I'm VERY likely to wind up with her thinking it's part of the "feedem" end of the matter! ;P

I know some if not all species do not mate all year 'round and introducing a male to a fem's enclosure "out of season" is as good as signing his death warrant, cause she will just nail him and eat him without a 2nd thought. At least that's the info I gleaned from some books years ago when I last considered trying to breed any T's.

I appriciate all input by the way everyone, so keep it coming! :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Telson
1: Is there a specific season / time of the year that females are receptive to breeding, and if so, when? (I don't wanna inadvertantly "feed" a male to a fem by introducing it "outside of mating season".

2: How do I know for certain when a fem is mature and physically ready to be mated?

3: Is there any trick to getting this species to lay an eggsac that you can suggest? (...such as temp adjustments over a certain time frame, adequate depth of substrate for laying inside the burrow, humidity changes, etc...?)

4: Do mature males of this species get tibial spurs, and if not, how do I recognise a mature male?
FIRST AND FOREMOST: Buy and Read: The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by the Schultzs'. This will answer ALL of your questions and some you never thought to ask!!

1. I have found that my LTCs will do it anytime (and anywhere, even on the coffee table!) They don't have a sense of the time of year, as they are kept under controlled conditions.

2. I'm not sure about this one, but to find out, I just put a male in with a female. If she is not willing, she will a) run away or b) lunge. Be ready with a spatula and a mister bottle (stolen from some really bright person on this site!) If she gets nasty, squirt 'em and put a wall between em.

3. I have two gravid rosehairs, and I treat them almost as if they were in I.C.U. I don't keep them TOO moist however! They are in dark, quiet places, with LOTS AND LOTS of room in their enclosures and substrate deep enough to dig a burrow if they want, and some hidey-holes created for them if they want to use them. They've both started digging and webbing, YAY, which is a good sign. And they both went off food, which is almost a SURE sign. YAY!

This is my first breeding experience... and if I didn't have my Arachnofriends... I never would have tried it!!

Good luck!