Want a new T. which one? Help

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im 14 years old ive had 2 rose hairs and i want a new T. im no expert and i have $150 2 spend(on tarantula and setup). i want something that is very interesting and something i can see alot. ive looked at thai tigers. but i want advice from the experts here at arachnoboards. i really want 2 make the right descion. (by the way i said im not an expert so give me the common name, not the scientific name) Ant sugestions?

kev hall

Arachnopeon
why not go for a costa rican zebra, this was my first spider very stunning and always out

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
give me the common name, not the scientific name)
There is rarely any such thing as "the" common name. One species can have over a hundred common names, because each pet store/dealer will call it whatever they feel like, and they tend to make up new names on the spot.

Also I don't really remember any of the English names people tend to use anymore. :D I got out of the habit. But anyway, if you search using the scientific names on AB's for sale section, you'll have a LOT better luck than trying to run several dozen searches for all the possible English names people could be using for a single species.

Your rosehair spiders are Grammostola rosea - if you want something you'll see often, their cousins are a good place to start. G. aureostriata is pretty nice, they get huge and tend to like to move dirt around and build mysterious structures, and they have striped legs and a nice gold color.

If you have THAT much money to spend, look for G. pulchra if you can find it. They're a gorgeous velvety black.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah common names suck. Sci names are the best because you can get confused with common names. example togo starburst baboon, usumbra starburst baboon.. ya get it??? Sound the same diff sp. though.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
example togo starburst baboon, usumbra starburst baboon.. ya get it??? Sound the same diff sp. though.
Don't forget the word "birdeater" everybody likes to label something a birdeater. My favorite moment is still back when someone reported seeing a G. rosea labelled as a Chilean Flame Birdeater or something. {D

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im 14 years old ive had 2 rose hairs and i want a new T. im no expert and i have $150 2 spend(on tarantula and setup). i want something that is very interesting and something i can see alot. ive looked at thai tigers. but i want advice from the experts here at arachnoboards. i really want 2 make the right descion. (by the way i said im not an expert so give me the common name, not the scientific name) Ant sugestions?
Ya know what! Get a pink toe Avic. sp. Nice little things. Docile and you will always be able to see it. They make tubular webs. Start them out as a spiderling. Fun to raise t's

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't forget the word "birdeater" everybody likes to label something a birdeater. My favorite moment is still back when someone reported seeing a G. rosea labelled as a Chilean Flame Birdeater or something. {D
lol G. rosea birdeater {D

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If by Thai tiger you mean Haplopelma minax, then you won't see it too much.
You could go for a greenbottle blue. Amazing colors, and they are always in the open.
Anything from the Brachypelma spp would be a good choice.
I'm not good at all on common names, but if you look thru the picture thread on Brachypelma, you'll find what some of them look like.

MoonYin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Im new to the hobby and Im loving this site. I started with G. aureostriata and Brachyphelma smithi...Im more into the terrestrials. hehehehe {D G. aureostriata has a nice gold color and I heard they can get really big.. B. smithi I just love because they're such sweet babies... good luck with your T hunting...{D

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Though Im a newbie, I think an Avic. would be a good T. to add to any collection :)

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
My two favorites are Nhandu coloratovillosum (Brazilian Black and White) and Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian White Knee). They look very similar (both beautiful) and have similar keeping conditions. They are both very big eaters. The Nhandu is a bit more active in her enclosure and is also a bit more skittish to handle. My A. genic handles like a pet rock, but some are reportedly more aggressive. Both get relatively large, but are not a lot of trouble to care for. I believe there are several reasonably-priced Nhandu juveniles currently for sale by various individuals in the for sale/trade forum.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for $150 you could get several. for housing go cheap, grocery shop with the family. rice, pretzels, spices, dog treats, and lots of other things come in nice clear plastic containers in various sizes that work for slings to adults (square/ rectangular utilize space the best). Ordering slings online (less the $20-25 shipping) at that order value will usually even get you a freebie.
Rev