My scorpian died and I dont know why

Killer406

Arachnopeon
:( :confused: I dont know why my scorpian died shes a desert species and I went on holiday for two weeks and my Grandpa took care of it. I left a dead criket in the tank for her to eat and she didnt touch it. My Grandpa said he fed it silicone gel on the second last day, and said she was alive and moving, but she just died in those two days. Im really confused and wondering why it would die like that can anyone tell me anything I should know?

Thanks in advance Killer406

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
was she an adult? she may have just died of old age. and scorpions dont tend to eat things that they havent killed themselves, so i dont think she would eat a dead cricket anyway. although they sometimes do that when they are young. what's sillicone gel anyways?

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should've used regular water instead of that silica stuff. They can't drink it. I made the same mistake once as well. I watched a video tutorial on how to care for an emp and they said to use the gel.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss. Find a species you like, maybe another desert species, and read up on it and then get it. My first scorpion died because of improper research on my part. But now I insure that I know everything about the species before I purchase it.

Well gel is sort of a no-no. It was orginally designed for crickets and roaches, but they makes it for spiders and scorps now. Just a shallow water dish will work fine. Scorpions will scavenge but not after the prey has been dead for more than a short period of time unless it is a scorpling. You should always remove prey that is left over after 48 hours, because they begin to develop bacteria.

As to why your scorp died it is probably just of old age. What were your temps and humidity like? What kind of substrate? Do you have any pics? When is the last time it ate? When was its last molt? Was it draging its tail around? If something was wrong in that department we would be glad to help you in not making the same mistake again. So what species was your scorpion?

-Dustin

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Things just happen somtimes, and it may have been a natural cause. Read up on others cage setup and look at some as well for your specific species. After you make sure everything you've done was good, then get another one, guessing this is your only one you had. Don't let this death stop you from getting another one.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stuff dies randomly, that's why I never name mine. Plus 500+ names would be difficult do name. If it was a female she likely had dropped all her broods and died. If it was a male he had mated, fulfilled his roll and then their count down to dying clock is ticking.

Killer406

Arachnopeon
My scorpian is a Urodacus Yaschenkoi from south Australias deserts, and my temperature was fine I kept the sand slighty moist so she could absorb the water from it like they normally would but she was flat when I found her like it looked like her stomach had nothing in it from the bottom, and on the parts of her claws were they join to her body on the inside where little white specs, they looked like grains of salt

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like tabor said, stuff dies randomly. Go out and get another one when/if you have the extra money :)

Make sure you do some research on the scorp BEFORE you get it ;)

Killer406

Arachnopeon
I guess you guys are right but I better start working towards, money way and research way lol thanks guys;)