What is the smallest size epiandrous fusillae are visable?

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess it would depend on the power of magnification in your telescope :) Spiders are like most creatures in that they're determined by genes to be either a male or female and are thus always so. I think it's just a matter of being able to physically see it. I could be wrong. I often am. :D

Shogun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well to bump this back up, and to elaborate. I just got a 20x lighted loupe, and was wondering at around what size the epiandrous fusillae develop, or if they are there at birth.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i've heard as early as 3i. but that is just what i have heard. there was something to that effect in the EF sexing section awhile back...

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It depends what species the tarantula is. I use a USB microscope that has 10x, 60x,and 200x. I have looked at dozens of molts of spiderlings trying to determine how early I can identify the sex. I have an Iridopelma "recife" that just molted and is now 1.5" post molt. I positively ID'd the tarantula as a female. Her premolt size must have been close to 1". I also positively ID'd an E. cyanognathus at 1.5" as a female.

What you need to remember is some species don't begin to develop their sex organs until they reach a certain, undetermined, size. I have looked at some under the scope that had absolutely nothing visible and I would mark it as a probable male. I would check it again a molt or two later and all of a sudden it's a confirmed female. It would be alot of work but it would be nice to have a list of the earliest confirmed spermathecae of all species,what power is required to see it, and a photo for comparison to give a better idea of what to look for especially if you have never seen what it looks like to begin with.