Creating Your Tarantula's Enclosure

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys, I'm looking for tips and how-to's for natural and life-like tarantula enclosures. As someone who is getting into the hobby, I can't help but gather as many T's as I can. I have 5 at the moment and before I acquire any more I want to know how to do more than the ol' peat moss/Eco-Earth with hide and water dish scenario. I've been following robc's tutorials and they're a huge help. I've also seen some BEAUTIFUL hand-made enclosures in the Pictures section. It just seems easier for someone who has around 30 T's to just build their own cages.

Do any of you guys create your own cages? Is it difficult? Is it easier than buying them from pet stores? What do you use to cut the material and glue them? What do you use to drill the holes?

Do you guys have a specific system that supports things like humidity? I've seen some of TheNatural's pictures and he has some sort of water drainage system so the T can actually go further down if it desires more humidity.

I've seen some people using ExoTerra products as well. Is it easier to buy an already built glass cage and just mod it or is it better to build the entire thing yourself?

Thanks for all your help. I love this place.

ErgoProxy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seriously nice enclosures, WARPIG...

And SWEET camera too....Nikon D300! :worship:

ErgoProxy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
BTW...

Where did you get the acrylic hinges? (thinking I just didn't look hard enough ;) )

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmm im starting an arboreal cage with my dad, were using plexi glass for the walls and top and bottom, with a door in front. then were going to drill holes on the bottom and top areas for ventilation. i was going to use a peat moss, sphagnum substrate with a vine, and plant with some other type of hide. were just starting it, so i thought id share.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm im starting an arboreal cage with my dad, were using plexi glass for the walls and top and bottom, with a door in front. then were going to drill holes on the bottom and top areas for ventilation. i was going to use a peat moss, sphagnum substrate with a vine, and plant with some other type of hide. were just starting it, so i thought id share.
Post pics of all the steps Fang, people love new ideas and different perspectives. I know I do. Thats where I get most of my ideas, I steal them;P

GL with your project.

PIG-

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you get a copy of Micheal J's video, he has a good tutorial on natural set-ups....

wayne

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
haha dont worry i steal ideas too(many many). hmm well i just redid my avics enclosure nothing fancy, but hold on ill get a picture

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Post pics of all the steps Fang, people love new ideas and different perspectives. I know I do. Thats where I get most of my ideas, I steal them;P

GL with your project.

PIG-
rosea tank

rosea tank

peeking in at my avic

side view/avics enclosure

same enclosure

ill get some pictures of the tank in progress war pig

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow that avi enclosure is sweet!!! It looks like you have a slice of rain forrest in your home.

Great job.
PIG-:clap:

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow really? thanks :D yeah she seems to like it shes over 5" now. shes so much sweeter than my rosie haha. her tank was very empty so i had to add some pothos plants to it, and some vines, and moss.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
almost makes me feel bad that I'm such a minimalist (almost). Hide or slab, water dish on ground or on the wall, substrate, maybe an extra entrance for cleaning or adding prey. Oh well, the T's have never complained lol.
Rev

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
almost makes me feel bad that I'm such a minimalist (almost). Hide or slab, water dish on ground or on the wall, substrate, maybe an extra entrance for cleaning or adding prey. Oh well, the T's have never complained lol.
Rev
Nothing wrong with that...I just like having elaborate enclosures...personal choice. I'm sure you're T's are very happy...

ErgoProxy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Guess it depends too the numbers you have and what you do with them. I use my tarantulas in public educational programs and a very elaborate set-up would be not only difficult to move, but also potentially they would not be able to view the spider at all (that usually happens with the H.lividum I bring along!

That's not so say given more space and a greater number of the same species, I wouldn't have the take-alongs in less elaborate housings and a nicer set-up for the others.

Cheers

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Guess it depends too the numbers you have and what you do with them. I use my tarantulas in public educational programs and a very elaborate set-up would be not only difficult to move, but also potentially they would not be able to view the spider at all (that usually happens with the H.lividum I bring along!

That's not so say given more space and a greater number of the same species, I wouldn't have the take-alongs in less elaborate housings and a nicer set-up for the others.

Cheers
I agree the burtrowers have pretty simple set-ups, but the T's in the elaborate enclosures I see more, because they feel secure and will come out.....rob