Humidity question

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have five emps in a large rubbermaid box with 1/2" holes drilled in the sides. I also have cut out two rectangles in the top covered with screen. One of them is larger to allow for the passage of the heat lamp's infrared light the other is for extra ventilation. If I only had holes in the side of the box would that provide adequate humidity as well as okay ventilation or is my current set up alright?

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpions don't require that much air. The 2 rectangular cut outs on top would be sufficient. I never put holes in the sides of containers to avoid a stinger popping out into someone's finger. Anyway although not recommended you could have no vent holes and just open the lid once a day to change the air. I took my 20 gallon long which I house 6 Emperors in and covered the screen lid with plexiglass save for even spaced drill holes. only about 18 and they are a quarter inch. I don't have to worry about humidity levels and I don't have to spray as much. Unfortunately since doing it, I've had some trouble with fruit and phorid flies. How big exactly are the cutouts on top? In my opinion if both holes are at least 3" x 3" than you have sufficient ventilation.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never put holes in the sides of containers to avoid a stinger popping out into someone's finger.
Do you really think we would have to worry about THAT with emps? Besides the holes are high enough so that won't happen.

How big exactly are the cutouts on top? In my opinion if both holes are at least 3" x 3" than you have sufficient ventilation.
The rectangular cut (the one without the heat lamp over it) is about 3.5 by 8," maybe a little more across I'm too lazy get up off my duff and measure. I like the holes in the side, though. Would it be acceptable if I bought a new lid without anything cut in it and place the heat lamp on one side? Could the heat pass through the lid without any openings cut in it?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put the holes on the sides. It gives better cross ventilation and you can stack other boxes on top of it without covering them up

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What Brian said. Top ventilation is also going to allow more moister to escape.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well than you have more than enough ventilation. In fact the cut outs on top like previously stated are big enough to let out all your moisture. By the way on my tank the acrylic sheet over the screen top doesn't keep the heat from my heat lamp from warming up the tank. So if you want to do that to keep the humidity in, you won't have to worry about the heat. As long as you have a few holes in the acrylic and and some on the side you will be set for air. If the heat lamp is heating the plastic tub (as long as you don't melt it) it should warm up all right if you wanted to buy a new lid. The level of transparency though, may have a slight effect of how much it heats up. My cricket tub is half way between clear and opaque white, with only about dozen holes on the top and the heat bulb I use heats up the inside just fine. It's 24" x 24"

Last edited: