Super Mealworms from Petco

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are these safe to feed your T's? I fed one to my rosea and she got it before it even hit the ground. Then it started fighting it.. and it was pulling on her webbing and everything. Definitely more of a challenge than a cricket, but food nonetheless. Anybody else here feed "Super Mealworms" to their T's?

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah it is perfectly fine to feed ur t superworms. If u think that it is gonna harm ur t just throw 1 or 2 superworms in the fridge freezer for a little to slow it down or just kill it then feed ur t. I feed my small slings freshly killed mealworms and crickets all the time.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I never heard to term "super mealworm" before. A bit sounds like a made up name by the petstore.
Mealworms are the larval form of Tenebrio molitor, whereas superworms are the larval form of Zophobas morio.
Both are good and common feeders, I use both of them myself.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I use a chopped up superworm (what we call big mealworms here) to feed my B. vagans sling. So far so good. She's now on her 3rd molt (Hoping its a she) :)

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed them all the time. If you don't bash their heads in they get under the substrate far sooner than the T will eat them.
TBH

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never heard of "super mealworms". but normal mealworms and waxworms are common feeders.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
superworms are like mealworms. Just bigger, and tougher to breed. Also proper keeping is a bit difficult. They need some pieces of wood, they can eat, and such.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed them all the time. If you don't bash their heads in they get under the substrate far sooner than the T will eat them.
TBH
Yeah.. I dropped one in my A. seemanni tank and it burrowed immediately, but I think it came up right underneath the T in its burrow because I saw it jump up all of a sudden. :eek:

Thanks for the good replies you guys. :)

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zophobas morio larva

Zophobas morio larva are called "superworms". Unlike mealworms, you don't keep them in the refrigerator. If you crush their heads with tweezers they won't burrow and your T might eat them. I have heard they shouldn't be used as a main diet for Ts due to their harder that most feeders' exoskeleton, but I'm not sure how true that is. To be on the safe side, use them as a suppliment to crickets or roaches.

Superworm link:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/raisingfood.html

dannax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty fed up with crickets and would like to get some of these...

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not Super

Mealworms are pretty good, but I wouldn't call them "super". ;)

phrank

Arachnopeon
I would just like to share that I've been breeding my own mealworms and super mealworms for a couple of years now, and Ive raised 19 T's from sling to adults with no problems at all. My reptiles cant get enuff of them. They have more protein. very healthy feeders. regular mealworm are very easy to breed. buy a cup of them at the pet store. put the in a plastic storage type container full of oatmeal and before long youll have beetles and not long after that you have baby worms. And it just keeps going and going. free food for life. now im doing the same with crickets. beats paying 10 cents a piece and its fun to grow your own critter food. give them variety.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi there,

I thought I would try something different than crickets this time and I bought a plastic container with mealworms (not super mealworms) at Petco and a shallow dish. I put six small mealworms in the dish and left my Chilean rose alone, her name is Shelob. I went back a few minutes later to check on her and I saw she was moving all over the dish. I took a closer look and she had picked up all six mealworms and had them all in her mouth . It looked so gross since all worms were in her mouth, and they were moving in all directions. I immediately proceeded to freak out and went to the internet since I wasn't sure if that was normal (I've only had my T for 2 weeks )

My computer wouldn't boot up so I went to get my Tarantula Guide book and I skipped the page I had bookmarked and went to the Feeding pages. To my relief it said that it is normal for T's to do that, and it's called Multiple Prey Capture. According to the book Shelob should be creating a thin web on the ground to spit up the food in it, and would then cover it with some more webbing to eat it later. I went to check on Shelob now she was making a web!!! I watched her for a few more minutes and she dropped the ball of worms in the web and then took it to her her hidey hole to eat it at her leisure.

I wish I had taken a picture, now that I know it was okay, lol. :D

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unlike mealworms, you don't keep them in the refrigerator.
You keep your mealworms in the refrigerator? Put them in a deli cup with some uncooked oatmeal and leave them at room temperature. You'll soon have a colony going and won't have to buy them any more.

Back some time ago I got a container of mealworms and dumped them into a quart container of oatmeal. It has since been subdivided into three one-quart containers set up as mealworm cultures, and they are able to feed quite a collection of small arachnids.

On rare occasions I add a small piece of apple core or something similar for moisture, but to a large extent the mealworms can process carbohydrates in the oatmeal into water metabolically. Too much moisture in the medium will cause it to mold.