H. spadix care sheet

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've got one of these coming in the mail, and I'd to know exactly how to keep it healthy. I've heard dubious accounts of how much humidity they require is what makes me the most nervous. Most care sheets tell me keep the humidity low, like 50%, and don't even provide a water dish. Is this adequate? What substrates do you use? Just plain packed playsand or a mixture of sand and peat moss tightly packed down? Must I also wet the sand and allow it to dry wether or not I mix it with peat?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dry substrate, I use %100 sand, but 80/20 sand/peat would work as well. Give them room to burrow as that is what they like to do. Keep it dry, I don't have and exact number for you, just keep it low. As long as the substrate is dry he will be fine. Mist the cage lightly maybe every other week, offer food every week, but remove anything he doesn't eat.

Like I said they like to burrow, so choose a cage that will allow him to do so. Also don't be alarmed if he doesn't eat every week. They are tough little guys. They could live without a burrow of course, and food every other month more than likely, but if you want him to thrive make sure he has a burrow. Hopefully it's a WC female. If so expect her to spend lots of time in the burrow. You can make a premade burrow for her near the side of the cage so you can look at her even when she's in the burrow.

The only ailment you have to watch out for is mycosis caused by too high humidity. Other than that they are solid as rocks.

Very cool, easy to maintain species. Have fun!

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dry substrate, I use %100 sand, but 80/20 sand/peat would work as well. Give them room to burrow as that is what they like to do. Keep it dry, I don't have and exact number for you, just keep it low. As long as the substrate is dry he will be fine. Mist the cage lightly maybe every other week, offer food every week, but remove anything he doesn't eat.

Like I said they like to burrow, so choose a cage that will allow him to do so. Also don't be alarmed if he doesn't eat every week. They are tough little guys. They could live without a burrow of course, and food every other month more than likely, but if you want him to thrive make sure he has a burrow. Hopefully it's a WC female. If so expect her to spend lots of time in the burrow. You can make a premade burrow for her near the side of the cage so you can look at her even when she's in the burrow.

The only ailment you have to watch out for is mycosis caused by too high humidity. Other than that they are solid as rocks.

Very cool, easy to maintain species. Have fun!
What kind of sand do you use? The only kind I have access to at this point is this brand of white playsand at a nursery, "Kolor-something." On the bag it is says d o not use for "projects, traction, or aquariums." Although by that I believe they mean not for aquatic environments?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live by the beach so i just get sand from there, but play sand works, anything without pesticides. Just go to Lowe's or Home depot and get a bag of play sand for $4, it will work fine. Or by some repti-sand from a pet store if you want some color in there.

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does that repti - sand pack well? The sand that I commonly see at pet stores in my area is Calci - Sand or something like that. I guess the sand has calcium in it so that if it is eated it is not harmful....anybody tried that stuff?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use it and like it. It packs well...but not the best. I reccomend 1/3 clay burrow sand and 2/3 regular sand. I guess calci sand can be substituted but why pay more? Go to home depot and get some cheap sand.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly, it doesn't even matter. There are like 20 types of sand at a major pet store. Don't go with anything thing to "grainy". They have stuff designed specifically for borrowing. I even use Crayola moon sand for some of my burrowers, mixed with some basic play sand. Just do what you like man, it's not like the substrate is permanent. If he isn't burrowing as much as you like, switch it up. I like Crayola play moon sand because you can pack it as dense as you want, but i find you have to incorporate a little bit of normal sand in to it to make it fully burrow-able.

Basically as long as theres no pesticides in it, you can't go wrong. The first month or two isn't set in stone, switch things up to find the perfect combo of aesthetics AND what meets the scorpions needs.

Make it work ;P