Robc's enclosure sliding lid tutorial (pics & video)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Me and my dad wanted a sliding lid for my 70gal tank (this will work for any size tank) so we called Zilla, who didn't have any and when we mentioned just building our own, they said it was impossible. So, here's the "impossible" sliding lid we built with step by step pics & video.
Originally it was going to be a split tank but I decided not to split it. I want more floor space for my newest big female T. Blondi (it's a tall tank but I will be adding foam below the thick substrate to make it safe for the Blondi). Hope you can follow this...it was a very complicated project....

Step One:

Get your wood cut to the proper lenghts of the back and sides of your tank. Hold the pieces in place (we had a special tool to do this) and drill holes into wood and connect all three pieces (back and sides). Counter-sink the holes (very important..do this on all holes drilled) and put your screws in (I use 2" screws to make sure it's very secure).

Step Two:

Measure and mark where the base for the sliding tray will go. Bascially this is where the sliding lid will rest.

Step Three:

Attach front piece - this will be the bottom of where your sliding tray rests and also the front of the lid - so measure carefully!

Step Four:

Drill holes in back and side portions of main frame in between the lines you measured for earlier to attach the sliding lid resting area.

Be sure to counter-sink your holes!!

Step Five:

After all holes are drilled and counter-sunk, place your wood piece for the sliding lid resting area in place and use a C-Clamp to hold in place (if possible) while you insert screws on front and sides - this is where your lid will sit.

This shows where your lid will be sitting - this is the side portion:

Here's the back:

Here's an overview of how the lid looks at this point sitting on the tank without the sides pieces:

Step Six:

Drill holes for the side pieces the sliding lid will rest on:

Clamp the side pieces down inside the lines you measured earlier or to meet up with the back portion of lid resting area you've already installed and insert screws:

This is how it should look after sides are installed - this is the back right corner (back left should look identical):

Here's the back of the lid:

Step Seven:

Cut tray guides to the correct size (will be the same length as your side piece) and drill holes for installation - be sure to counter-sink holes again:

Attach the tray guide with 3 small screws (depending on the size of your tank). Do this on both sides!

Step Eight:

Making the sliding screen frame. There is a kit at most hardwares store for this. You have four corners and you cut the frame to the width and length you need. Make your screen frame so it will slide easily in and out of the tray guides - be sure not too make it too tight or you could destroy your screen lid over time pulling on it.

Cut the screen frame:

Insert corner pieces:

After you get the first piece cut and the corner piece attached, test it in the tray guide to be sure it fits:

Check the length to be sure it fits there as well:

This is how it should look resting in the tray guides:

Here's a quick video showing the lid at this point (note: your screen lid will be somewhat floppy at this point without the screen in):

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=Enclosurelidtutorial_55.flv

Step Nine:

Putting the screen in the frame:

Cut your screen so there's about 6" of overlap on each side. Use a Screen Spline Roller tool (available at most hardware stores) to fit the screen spline into the space around the frame holding the screen in place.

Here's a couple of video's showing us doing this:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=Enclosurelidtutorial_56.flv

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=Enclosurelidtutorial_61.flv

Step Ten:

Cut off the excess screen:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=Enclosurelidtutorial_62.flv

Step Eleven:

Drill holes for handles and install. I used two handles but my tank is 4' long - you can use one if it's a 5-20gal tank.

Here's the finished product!

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=Enclosurelidtutorial_64.flv

Hope you guys enjoyed! Let me know if you have any questions - I know it's a lot of info....Thanks! Rob

Fender Bender

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, that tank is huge! Does it come with a mini-bar, valet parking and jacuzzi? :D

Excellent job again Rob, I envy your dedication lol

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, that tank is huge! Does it come with a mini-bar, valet parking and jacuzzi? :D

Excellent job again Rob, I envy your dedication lol
Thanks! I was thinking of adding a jacuzzi and valet parking but thought it might be a tad much... :D

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow rob xD. U make some good stuff.. How about you.....Come move up were i live? and like.. help me out xD

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looking nice. Couple of questions, though.

It looks like you used plastic window screen material for the lid. Weren't there issues with this getting chewed by determined T's, and isn't it possible for the T's to get the hooks on their feet caught on this material and hang? That would be nice if not, but it seems like I have seen this described as an issue somewhere...

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looking nice. Couple of questions, though.

It looks like you used plastic window screen material for the lid. Weren't there issues with this getting chewed by determined T's, and isn't it possible for the T's to get the hooks on their feet caught on this material and hang? That would be nice if not, but it seems like I have seen this described as an issue somewhere...
The screening I use is round woven steel (I have never had a T hang on this).....in the video it does look plastic....good point, I should have stated this in the video....rob

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Goes to show you that people shouldn't tell someone what is and is not possible. Just makes us ten times more likely to do it. :) Great job, Robc. :>

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You make the best enclosure no doubt, but dang man, what effort!

I guess my collection of scorps is just so large that I don't have the time to build such a nice house. I think I did well on my first T. blondi cage, and I've got a 30 gallon i'm ready to move her up to when she molts (hopefully successfully).

good job rob, great tutorials. if I had an ounce of free time I would give it a go. We have all the tools lying around the garage (i come from a family of carpenters), but like I said, I like to keep things simple. Your decor is top notch too and that is something I can apply to even my meager T setups. :clap:

out of curiosity how much money do you invest in these setups, your typical blodni setup that is?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You make the best enclosure no doubt, but dang man, what effort!

I guess my collection of scorps is just so large that I don't have the time to build such a nice house. I think I did well on my first T. blondi cage, and I've got a 30 gallon i'm ready to move her up to when she molts (hopefully successfully).

good job rob, great tutorials. if I had an ounce of free time I would give it a go. We have all the tools lying around the garage (i come from a family of carpenters), but like I said, I like to keep things simple. Your decor is top notch too and that is something I can apply to even my meager T setups. :clap:

out of curiosity how much money do you invest in these setups, your typical blodni setup that is?
Thank-you, carpenter's.....you could build anything!!! Makes sure to add foam to the bottom of that 30 gal and then add substrate it will save you a ton on the substrate.....rob

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great mod, in my case I would need to add a way to install a hole for a lock. That should be easy though. This is a way to save a little money for me as I need locking tanks. Thanks for information and pics.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
good job. can you get the corner jig/vise at Home Depot or Lowes, thats a cool tool:)