Beetle traps

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One of the few memories of my childhood that hasn't been repressed :)rolleyes: ) was when we visited some obscure relative's house and they had half a dozen beetle traps that were filled with what they said were June Beetles. I looked that up, and it turns out that wasn't what they were, but that really doesn't matter. What I'd like to know is how can I make a beetle trap that will catch them, but not kill them?

If you know a website with such info, or have anything else of use, I would be quite grateful.

N.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, don't waste your money on that.

I don't know how to specificly capture beetles, but someone mentioned it earlier..

Just take a large soda bottle, cut the top off, flip it over so that the mouth sticks down into the bottle. Glue it, hang it under a light in your yard. Bugs fall in, can't get out.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Heh, don't waste your money on that.

I don't know how to specificly capture beetles, but someone mentioned it earlier..

Just take a large soda bottle, cut the top off, flip it over so that the mouth sticks down into the bottle. Glue it, hang it under a light in your yard. Bugs fall in, can't get out.
That sounds like it's worth a shot.

N.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, that works. Its basically the 10 cent Bug Napper. The bug napper only has a light which attracts them at night, but anyway, the other idea will work

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where i live they have these things called japanese beetle traps u can find em at all places like eckerd, genovese,maces,and maybe even supermarkets

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've heard (And am willing to believe) that those are most definently a bad thing.

I was told they use the female pheromone to attract them, whether or not that's true, I don't know.

But they most definently do attract beetles. And as far as I'm concerned, anything that attracts them is bad.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Longbord1
where i live they have these things called japanese beetle traps u can find em at all places like eckerd, genovese,maces,and maybe even supermarkets
Do those traps kill them, or just trap them?

N.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not totally sure how they work, but in the end, the beetles are most certainly dead.

The bottle way keeps them alive as long as you get don't let it hang out for days at a time, heh.