Can you sex this regalis?

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
This little bugger went from 2" to 4" in two months. Wow. Any guesses?

Last edited:

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Id say female.. but id get some other peoples ideas, im not the best at it..

Ian

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am (questionably) familiar with sexing a molt, but what are you guys basing your determination on from these pics?

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
id guess female as well

Originally posted by Telson
I am (questionably) familiar with sexing a molt, but what are you guys basing your determination on from these pics?
you can learn to sex a T from its underside from this site http://birdspiders.com/

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even though I stand alone in the dark and keeping in mind that I'm not used to determine the sex of T's, I would say that it is a male.
I think you can make out the fusillae above the epigastric furrow.
That's the pic... What do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup I'd say female... It's a lot different to my sub-male of the same species. If I could get a decent pic that'd greatly help =<

If it's just moulted, why not picture the exuvium, that'll provide a better identification for ya :)

EDIT: Mine is around the 5.5" legspan mark

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That looks female to me. The great thing about Pokies is you will have no doubt after it's mature. If LaRiz chimes or his brother chimes in, you'll have no doubt as well.

@Pyrdacor: The epiandrous fusilae are tubules that look like modified hairs, not bald spots.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And the Winner is........ The P.Regalis is Female! Hehe j/k

I think its female and Wow on the Growth we have a 1.5" P.Regalis and a 1 " Salem Ornamental I can't wait till they both grow up !:D

Last edited:

Vayu Son

Old Timer
hi. pyrdacor, the epiandrous fusilae is usually in one spot, not two... that spot is usually an inverted type triangle in the center and a little above the epigastric furrow. Speaking of which... with poecilotheria, that white/clearish bump in the middle between the anterior booklungs is the sclerotization of the epigastric furrow... this widens during mating. female.

-V