Hurricane Fay and my tarantulas

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm absolutely mortified of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Fay. It's scheduled to hit my area tomorrow afternoon. I live under ancient oak trees (seriously you should look up my address in google and see for yourself) that are very weak. 20lbs limbs fall onto my roof every time the windspeed gets into the double-digits.

I'm so horrified that a tree is going to come crashing through my roof and hit my tarantulas, killing some and unleashing others. I have no idea what to do...

Should I put them someplace "safer" or am I just being paranoid? This is my first hurricane in this rinky-dink house and I'm not comfortable at all.

All the websites with tips for hurricane preparedness only mention dogs and cats. I have fish, tarantulas, and a bearded dragon as well as 3 cats and a dog. I am freaking out. Is there anything I can do other than cross my fingers and hope everything comes out all right?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
better safe than sorry = clear out a closet and put them in it. Or put them under a table

I also put my bugs in 50 gal tubs w/lids for shows ,you could also do that and put them where a tree wont fall.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there any part of the house that DOESN"T have branches hanging over it??? That is the area of the house I would be putting all my critters into. As far as the Ts, you could put all the smaller tanks and vials into a laundry basket for easier transport. This is what I do during tornado season here in NE.

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Put them in or under something big and sturdy that takes a lot to fall down so that if a tree falls on it it is not likely to smash.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been wondering what to do with my T's as well. I was thinking of just packing them like I would for shippment, in a styrafoam box. It keeps them condensed, gives them a little extra padding, and if you ahve to get out of there quick, you can just tape the top and no one will know the difference at a shelter.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do not think this ones gonna be that big of a deal but prep good anyway.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This one might not, but theres always the ones that follow. We arnt in a very stable house either =/. Would packing them for shipping be a practical idea?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This one might not, but theres always the ones that follow. We arnt in a very stable house either =/. Would packing them for shipping be a practical idea?
I think it sounds perfect, it may be a hassel but oh well. I put mine in ziplock containers inside those big storage tubs w/lids. Just for the time a hurricane lasts should be no worries

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
=( the cages mine are currently in wouldnt fit in a storage tub..I dont think? hrm..I know my big T's cages wouldnt but theres only 3 of those so they shouldnt be too much of a hassle to move. I'll look into it tonight. Thanks! =D

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I lost over 150 tarantulas in hurricane fran. I take preparations seriously now. I'm ready to pack, move, water and feed in case of an emergency.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I lost over 150 tarantulas in hurricane fran. I take preparations seriously now. I'm ready to pack, move, water and feed in case of an emergency.
holy crap man, not good. belated sorry:(

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
holy crap man, not good. belated sorry:(
Thanks. I almost quit the hobby because of it. I watched them die one by one in high 90's weather, no electricity, no water for 10 days. The water came on after a few days but it didn't help much.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fay-nay-nay

IF this hurricane does become worse then take the pre-cautions. It really depends on the house structure rather than a storm. If your house breaks easily or there are a lot of trees around then yes. I put my t's either in my cabinet or my closet so they are safe.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
right now, its ony a tropical storm and hasnt hit hurricane force yet so I'm not too worried but I would like to be prepaired for the next one if it happens to be worse

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course anything can happen and you know your house better than any of us. I had a tree fall on my house and catch fire because it also landed on the power line. The Fireman put it out and my house did sustain damage. The thing I would be most concerned about is loss of electricity. The hurricane itself didn't harm my T's it was the aftermath. Do you have a generator?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in its path as well, and I welcome it. Changes in barometric pressure historically have led to more births and more molts than anything else for me :)

Seriously though, your primary concern should be your safety, your family's safety, then the safety of your house/belongings(tarantulas). In that order. Be safe and let's make it through this season unscathed!

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like Fay hit land sooner than anticipated, so it probably won't gain the speed it would have if it went west. Its really good news for everyone in Florida including your tarantulas. Associated tornados might be the biggest concern. It looks like we had some good luck with Fay...Best Wishes to all. :)

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck KD, hope all goes well. We sure don't need anymore rain in our area, so this could be interesting.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let us know if you get any severe repercussions from it KD

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we are here in port st lucie..And we are ready for the storm we have taken the proper steps to make sure not only that our animals are safe but also my family as well..so any one in the path of this storm I wish you all the best of luck and we will get through it no worries..wait was that my roof.....only kidding :D

You all be safe.......