Scorp toys?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok, I made one of those mite traps described in the T forum (substituting a locking medicine bottle, and using a dead zoophoba) and I swear my scorps think it's a toy. They climb on it, and roll it around and all sorts of stuff. It's kinda cute. As far as whether the trap is working, I don't know, yet.

I can't see any mites in it, but then again, it is filled with vasoline :rolleyes: There do seem to be less mites, but I could be wrong. I'll report back in a week with results...

Anyone else use those?

N.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wait, so mites crawl into the bottle, get trapped in vasoline, and get stuck?

Cool idea. Are mites small enoguh to get in the space between the cap, and the bottle?

It seems like an inviting place, but id think you would need more than one trap.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by scorpio
Wait, so mites crawl into the bottle, get trapped in vasoline, and get stuck?

Cool idea. Are mites small enoguh to get in the space between the cap, and the bottle?

It seems like an inviting place, but id think you would need more than one trap.
There's small holes poked into the bottle. I used a locking medicine bottle to make sure there's no way the scorps could open it up. And, yes, the idea is that they sense decay and crawl into it to be trapped by vasoline.

Like I said, I have no comments, yet, but after a week or so we'll see how well it did. As far as needing more than one, I move it every so often. I do notice that the mites herd around it, so maybe it'll work.

N.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that sounds like a great idea, so do you stick the cricket or decaying prey in the vasaline?

i must make a few and see how this goes, vasaline is messy, does KY jelly work? :}

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Please post the results...sounds interesting.

W

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think the scorps are playing with it cause they can smell the roting zoophobia inside and are just trying to get at it

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok, the traps work, but not well enough. :(

I took the scorps out and put them on bone dry peat, with some wet napkins for humidity.

How can I dry out the tank enough to kill the mites quickly? Usually the peat in there is one step below saturated...Am I right to assume that mites don't burrow, and all I need to do is dry out the top layer pretty well?

I'm also trying to torch the little bastages with a fireplace lighter LoL That's not going over too well.

Could I use bags of salt, and try to speed it up through osmosis (spell???)?

N.