Animal Planet

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Anyone catch that docu on animal planet last night? strange looking film looked like most of it was shot with contained T's in large habitats (like say at a zoo) maybe I am just crazy. The "all common names" left me feeling like the whole docu was dumbed down quite a bit. Also they seemed to have a portion of another docu within the film, the whole peiroia (excuse my spelling) indian docu that I am sure tons of you all have seen. Ah well its fun to see anything about T's on TV so as not to be overly critical I would have to say it was at least one thumb up.

ok then-
looseyfur

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I think the entire Animal Planet network, as well as it's parent, Discovery Channel, has dumbed down considerably. I mean, all you can see on Animal Planet is Animal Precinct and America's Funniest Pets. I would just be thankful you were even ABLE to catch a documentary on AP.

W

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah my wife and i watched it...she kept asking "how do they get those pictures" and I said probably because they are using T's at a zoo or something...but yeah I thought it looked like most of the camera work was not fromt he wild...

i enjoyed it but was mad that they used only common names and not a single scientific name...though from what i heard..and what little I know they seemed to give accurate info and am glad they kept saying that the "tall tales" of old times where false...

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
are they showing reruns? aparrently, AP has dumbed down because so many children watch the shows and dumbed down parents complained instead of explained. that sux, but i still love any T footage, even if ihave to repronounce the sci name 30,000x to my daughter:D

kristin

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've pretty much given up with Animal Planet, heh. I watched it last night, and when I say last night, I mean this morning. It wasn't on until 3 am :p I'm guessing it showed earlier, but I was too busy watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel to care :p (Even though I absolutely despised the person they had on last night. Manny something. He's a joke. He just tries to do "impressive" stuff without actually saying anything of interest or importance. He spent the entire night hand feeding sharks. That's about it.)

And yeah, I agree -- It's dumbed down to an extreme. I love animals, but I hate that Animal Precinct crap they show, and the Planet's Funniest Animals is horrid (I guess the videos ARE pretty funny, but the host is the sole reason I don't watch it, that and they show it literally about 8 times a day.)

I'm still a big fan of Steve Irwin, though! (Croc Hunter) I'm not so big on his "Croc Files" show (Which seems to be geared more towards kids). But the original Croc Hunter show is still decent. But I prefer the newest one :p Croc Diaries. Which basicly shows the day to day stuff in keeping the Zoo going. If you watch it, you'll realize that his whole nutty attitude is mostly just on the other shows. He's quite a bit more serious on this show.

And yeah, the Tarantula show was decent, but nothing great. It was pretty much bare bones in terms of information. And I can't help but to agree that it looked staged.

This Mexican redleg can sense the cricket coming.
This Peruvian Pinktoe doesn't go after it's pray, it waits until the cricket comes to him.

They just happened to find a few tarantulas in the wild and even luckier to happen to see them eatting just about the same thing all over the world.

(ALthough, the mice and frog kills were kind of neat to watch.)