Crickets and dog food???

McKenize

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys, I have been buying crickets, gut loading them with veggies and dog food then popping them in the freezer. I recently started feeding my dog holistic dog food that has vitamins, plant extracts and glucosamine in it. Will that make my T's sick?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, at least dogfood is not likely to have pesticides in it, which fresh produce probably does.

Holistic could mean a lot of things, possibly good or bad. Vitamins are fine for T's, I should think, and I would guess glucosamine is too. What other hud is in there, though?

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chances are it's fine by why take the risk?

Just do the normal cricket feeding and call it good- a tarantula doesn't need a four course gourmet meal to be fat and happy.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Dog food is made of disgusting things, actually. But the crickets don't seem to mind.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Strangely enough, recently I seem to like them. I actually check on them and look at what they are doing whenever I go into my T-room. Yeah I know, the next step is gonna be I'm feeling sorry for giving them to my T's... but that's not the case, I still think they are creepy (and smelly too). :D

Kuroth

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys, I have been buying crickets, gut loading them with veggies and dog food then popping them in the freezer. I recently started feeding my dog holistic dog food that has vitamins, plant extracts and glucosamine in it. Will that make my T's sick?

Hello... I am new here.. Why do you freeze them??? Is that a better way then fedding them to your T alive???? Do most T owners freeze or feed live???

Thanks!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hello... I am new here.. Why do you freeze them??? Is that a better way then fedding them to your T alive???? Do most T owners freeze or feed live???

Thanks!
Dunno, but I think most people don't do it. The ones that do it do it mostly because they are lazy and clumsy :)D) to catch them. or because they don't want them running around the enclosures. Personally I never freeze them and always offer them live.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
People freeze them so they last longer instead of dying off quickly and rotting at room temperature before a T is ready to be fed.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hrmmm

I honestly stick with the vegies with my crickets. Dog food is cool and all but thats really not needed. No it wont hurt the T. God knows what crickets eat before you purchase them. Like all they digest too.. I dont think it really matters though. I've always wondered if you feed crickets citrus fruit, I.E, tangerines and oranges (gotta love FL) or grapefruits, the t's can, I guess, taste the citrus acids from them. Idk... Whenever I get a lot, I generally feed them apples or watermelons.

Newyork

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I'm going to have to say that most normal dog food is way nastier than anything holistic . . . although who knows what's put into either.

Is there anyway that you could freeze them only for a short time, just to slow them down? (I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything I just wondered)

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

I suppose you could but what would be the point??? Either way its going to die and makes it more interesting to watch in a cruel way. Dog foos makes your hands greasy too. lol;P

McKenize

Arachnopeon
Dunno, but I think most people don't do it. The ones that do it do it mostly because they are lazy and clumsy :)D) to catch them.
I do it because I only have two T's and I can't find a store that only sells two crickets. So I always end up getting more then I need at the time. I don't want to unleash them around my house so I give them the deep freeze and besides my T's could care less if they were thawed.

Regardless I will be throwing this batch out and trying something different.

strangladesh

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you need more T's:embarrassed:

I do it because I only have two T's and I can't find a store that only sells two crickets. So I always end up getting more then I need at the time. I don't want to unleash them around my house so I give them the deep freeze and besides my T's could care less if they were thawed.

Regardless I will be throwing this batch out and trying something different.

McKenize

Arachnopeon
New Question..

I was wondering if anyone just bought the crickets and threw them in without gut loading them?

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the main question should be, what brand of dog food. If you use something of quality like nutro or premium then should be fine. If you are using purina, DON'T. Pretty simple. I feed all of my feeder insects, Nutro or other premium, healthy dog food, assorted Muzuri(zoo formula) foods(aquatic turtle, tortoise, crocodile, etc), left over fruits, veggies. In the wild a lot of bugs are scavenges or opportunists so they will eat almost anything. As long as whatever you're feeding isn't full of preservatives and filler it will be fine.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't even figure out why someone would buy/feed crickets when they only have one or two T's. There are so many way healthier options. Anyone that only needs two crix at a time. PM me and I will send you a cup of roaches. Just pay shipping and handling. They will live a long long time with extremely minimal care and are healthier and safer than crix. Or use meal worms or super wors or something. Crix are so worthless.