• I would consider or do own pokies

Votes: 249 91.9%
  • I would'nt consider owning a pokie

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I have been wanting to field this responce for awhile now.

oh yeah?
looseyfur

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you asking because you are thinking of getting a poeci of your own?

Or are you just wondering how many folks here have poeci's?

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
asking

I think I am asking because I always see folks post stuff like ...

I am reconsidering owning a pokie ...
or
I told myself I wouldnt get one...

just seems to be a debate for most folks. I kinda wanted to see via the poll how many folks want to keep them and how many just wont... for whatever reason.
I would keep them in a second and have (although I have since slimmed my collection down to 5 T's)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My first T back in 1982 was a P. cancerides. That guy made me nervous to say the least even though I loved him. After that, though, I learned enough to know what the common petstore species were and stuck to things more like redknees, curlyhairs, and pinktoes. I had a no "aggressives" rule until October 2002 when a "semi-aggressive", my N. coloratovillosus, gave me my first threat display ever:

It just wasn't that big of a deal. My mental concept of the 'nasty' species was just that: a mental construct. In reality, I realized they're just a bug doing what they do and I'm certainly brighter than they are. After that, I wound up getting an H. maculata and some P. murinus. Now I'm looking to get some choice Pokies (come to me P. metallica raffle sling :D)

My logic is if you are ready for a Pokie or whatever you'll know it. If you're not sure, you're probably going to be too nervous when working with it and are more prone to making a mistake which could result in a nice alarming bite report for our entertainment.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a species that is on the "one day" list.
Right now the twins are a bit to young.
Yes I know that others have poecs and small children.
But I have Twins. Double trouble already.
I have twins that Love bugs.
I have twins that have little or no fear of bugs.
I have twins that are Highly curious and Very "five year old touchy, picky uppy. 'Oh, whats that button do? Lets push it'y.' "
In other words, normal five year old,,,, times two.
This collection is Their collection, so it will grow with their maturity and at a rate that allows them to learn as hands on as possable.
I want a poec.
I think they are gorgeous, incrediable and wothy of the gasps and Oo's and Aaah's. They just arn't. For Me. For Us, in my house. The thing to add to This collection at This time.
In a few years. maybe two, maybe ten. Who knows. Play it by ear.
I have no doubts that there will be Poecs in this collection.

Grow as we grow.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
love my fasciatia...and my four year old. no=no at my house. spiders get preferential treatment to child because they are less needy. just my 2 cents:D

Kristin

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
you know, another thing: spiders in an enclosure can live happily on a tall shelf, out of reach of inquisitive fingers. i have tons of stuff in my house i didn't let my kid play with when she was younger, and i somehow managed to keep her alive. so far anyways. with pokies in the house and everything!
all this "i won't buy a pokie" talk is kind of weird. that's like saying you won't buy plaid because you don't know how to wear it.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
Hey CM, that pic brings back memories...my little N. coloratovillosus ( i got him from a store that had no idea what he was, about $15. heh) just moved into his new enclosure...my friend joe leaned in to get a closer look, with the lid off, and just as he was inhaling to say something, she kicked hair rught up his nose. astrud has perfect comedic timing for an arachnid.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oi......
Ok.

Kristin Cullen. Cool No means No here as well. But after bringing up a 16 year old and an 18 year old I have found that No means No, but Murphy's laws apply. I collect blades and the twins don't mess with them. But Those are MINE, all momma No No rules apply, And blades don't happen to get up and walk around on their own, and there is little risk of a blade finding a way to escape it's enclosier.
Since the twins Are an active part of this collection. Since these are Their T's. I think the species difficulty should grow With Them. I already have two that they can't themselves go in with forceps and remove cricket parts and change water dishes for.
I could get a poec. Keep the poec up high, locked up, safe and sound. A definate No No. But the twins are Excited about this hobby. This is Their hobby. I get to participate with them. They are the ones that wanted spiders. So Their collection will grow With Them.
They feed, they water, they care for and set up and maintain these enclosiers. It's Part of Their chores as These Are Their pets.
They want poecs. They arn't Ready for Poecs.
I am Not implying poecs are demonic entities Or that it's impossable to keep kids and poecs in the same house. Or that I have an inability to handle my children. Only that I Have been handling children long enough to kow that No might mean NO, but they are individuals and they do, sometimes Bend the No.
Especialy with something they are passionet about. No parent in the history of parenting Can Say that their children have Always done what they say and have Never done what they were told not too. Not truthfuly anyway.

krucz36. True. But as I stated. This is their hobby. I'm working and guiding. But these are their bugs. Like any hobby a very young person engaes in. The parent guides, allows, asses levels for and decides the difficulties of managing their children In their hobby.
This isn't Poec bashing. a poll was asked. The reasons were given. When they can manage their P. murinus and P.cambridgei the same way they do their Brachypelmas, Grammostolas,Avicularias and other more managable and tolerant tarantulas. Then they can tackle something more challanging.
I said it ten times already and will again. This is Their hobby. I broke the rules by getting Two spiders that I have to manage. I Won't buy pets of Any species that turn into the kids pets that the parents handle. They wanted it, They are responsable for it. Caring for their pets is as part of their list of chores as making their beds and picking up their toys. Their stuff, Their responsability. I take care of the two With them. I do the interior mantaining. They toss food in the desiganted spot and pour water in the other designated spot thats set up for this. I do because I enjoy the hobby as well. But this is Their's. I don't want to go overboard and make their hobby mine, and tunr it into a no touchy thing.
Hey. They like cars too and I drive in them daily and have managed to keep them alive and safe. Doesn't mean I'll be giving them the keys to the stang yet.

I Really hope I got it clear this time.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: asking

Originally posted by looseyfur
I kinda wanted to see via the poll how many folks want to keep them and how many just wont... for whatever reason.
I answered yes that I would. Why. Responded to what I felt was misunderstood in my answer. Clearified to the best of my ability what was obvious without the 400 lines of text. If you don't like reading my posts. Don't. Skip. Your choice.
Thanks for your imput. And do have a nice day. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
K guys! Different strokes for different folks. Everyone raises their kids and Ts differently, and Nixy is doing just fine. In fact, kudos to her for teaching her little 'uns so thoroughly about our beloved spidies!

kruz, sweetie.... just wail till YOU have kids.... you will understand then!!! Shoot, I have taught my 9 and 12 year old boys what no means.... and you'd be surprised what they do behind my back!! I even caught one bragging to his friends about how good he is at lying to me!=D That was FUN!!

But remember, in America, we have the choice to keep pokies in the same house with our kids, or not! To each his own!:)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My husband has 2 Pokies the P.Regalis and the Salem Ornamental and in the next 2 weeks he will be getting the Fringed Ornamental. I would say if you are a begginner in this hobby or a intermediate then don't get the pokey. If you have alot of Experience under your belt with T's I say get the pokey if you want one. I think these T's are beautiful and have great color and markings but I also know that they are fast and have significant amont of Venom. But I know I am not ready for a pokey but my husband has had alot more experience with T's than I have so I know he will becareful around them.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i would own a pokie, i just need to come up with the money to buy one

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I´ve had a few poecs, I think 7 species. The favorites are regalis and ornata followed by subfusca but only for its nice looks.
BTW, I have a daughter and shes been raised with rattlers, spiders, scorpions, fish-with-teeth, large boids etc. She´s fine. Just teach the kids that the terrariums are OFF limit. And have locks on the cages just in case they forget.

/Lelle

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
kruz, sweetie.... just wail till YOU have kids.... you will understand then!!! Shoot, I have taught my 9 and 12 year old boys what no means.... and you'd be surprised what they do behind my back!! I even caught one bragging to his friends about how good he is at lying to me!=D That was FUN!!

But remember, in America, we have the choice to keep pokies in the same house with our kids, or not! To each his own!:)
I do have a daughter. thanks for your thoughtful policing.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it would be odd to decide never to own a T of a given species or genus, but then if I could I'd have 5 each of all 850 + species. Though I own a poke, they aren't my favorite spiders in the world. Interesting and pretty, but arboreals have never done that much for me. I keep some of them because they are neat to have, but I really go hog wild for NW terrestrials.

Adrian

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Wow! Parents get younger and younger every year! I saw your birth year and thought, oh, a young kid! Both of my 19 year old nephews are parents... I guess some start young, some start really old. I waited till I was 30 till I got pregnant.... and now my kids have WAY more energy than I do... I really should have had them when I was 16 so I could keep up with them now!!!

Sorry for ASSuming!:8o How old is your daughter? Does she like Ts? My 13 month old granddaughter calls them "puppies!"

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
dont' worry about it. sorry if i'm being abnormally grumpy. cigarette (lack of cigarette) reaction.

elise is 10 (its a habit in my family to start young) and she loves the bugs. she calls them "tarantaloos" ("halloo, tarantaloo!")

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Wow, mine are 9 and 12 and are killing me.... slowly!! U R smart to have them young, you can still chase her down and catch her!:D

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an 11 year old daughter, a 9 year old son, and a 5 year old daughter. They are driving me crazy daily and MY parents are loving every minute of it LOL.