What do tarantulas taste like?

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there anyone here on the boards who has actually tasted tarantula?
I'm curious.

I'm packing up for a move and I just came across some old molts, plus I'm getting hungry for dinner, lol.

I know some people store their dead Ts in the freezer. Ever thought about scraping the bristles off of one with a paring knife and throwing it into a frying pan with a bit of oil and some herbs?

Kel_420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is there anyone here on the boards who has actually tasted tarantula?
I'm curious.

I'm packing up for a move and I just came across some old molts, plus I'm getting hungry for dinner, lol.

I know some people store their dead Ts in the freezer. Ever thought about scraping the bristles off of one with a paring knife and throwing it into a frying pan with a bit of oil and some herbs?
omg, it tastes sooo good. I raises my from slings then I eat them alive. They taste the best while they move down your mouth =)

MelGibson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i want to know too. ive looked for ways to perpare a T in like a thai dish but no results yet. also im not sure which Ts are edible.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't actually had it but I understand tarantulas, like other invertibrates, taste like crab or lobster, but without the fishiness. Basically nondescript but definitely mild and soft (once you get through the exoskeleton).

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In other words they basically taste like the spices they are cooked/dipped in.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
None of my big Ts have died since I started in the hobby.
But when one does, I don't imagine I'll want to flush it. Or bury it in someone else's yard.
Preparing a pet for cooking would be sad and gruesome, but in the end we would be together forever {D

Last edited:

oblivion22

Arachnopeon
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8_NzM_sC8s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8_NzM_sC8s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Kel_420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
None of my big Ts have died since I started in the hobby.
But when one does, I don't imagine I'll want to flush it. Or bury it in someone else's yard.
Preparing a pet for cooking would be sad and gruesome, but in the end we would be together forever {D
jeffery domer?

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hear they taste like prawns, from an expert who has had them.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hear they taste like a mix between lobsters and shrimp from a Nat Geo program I saw. The natives would sear the tarantula over a roast pit so the hairs would singe off. After it is roasted, the flesh is creamy white with some orange and steam coming out. The texture looks like shrimp...

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never ate a tarantula, but if you go to the Audubon Insectarium in New Orleans they sure know how to cook insects!

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jeffery domer?
*Jeffrey Dahmer. If you're going to make references, spell it right. :p

If you can make a connection between cannablism/torture/acid zombies, I'd hate to see what you can conjure for Ed Gein. Would would that make an interior designer?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dunno, but in a few days i can tell you what eggs taste like :}

hardtohandle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rick West said that it taste like crabs... or prawns... or something like that, I cant remember...

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Put a live one on your tounge and let us know{D

PIG-

PSYS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just wouldn't ever imagine it seriously tasting like a prawn or lobster or crab...? ...interesting.