t apophysis, t blondi

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey guys, i was wondering what the difference between the two was. i know the apophysis has pink feet as a juvi, but what about when it reaches adult size. do the two look the same as adults? thanks!
-brandon

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey guys, i was wondering what the difference between the two was. i know the apophysis has pink feet as a juvi, but what about when it reaches adult size. do the two look the same as adults? thanks!
-brandon
i haven't kept either but i read that apophysis has super bad ultricating hairs that leave bloody sores. but other than that they are similar. this is all from books and not from experience tho.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read that the T. Blondi is slightly more bulky and brown in color whereas the other one is slightly more leggy and more cinnamon colored. I've only had a T. Blondi though so I am not 100% certain by my own experience.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, yes, that is one difference. T. apophysis have longer legs, even females, and yes, their U hairs are even worse than a blondi.
Have you seen the darker blondis? T apophysis is that dark color, with almost a pinky glow to it, and from what I've heard they can get bigger in legspan than a blondi. That makes sense to me now that I have a couple of adult female blondis and a very quickly growing young female apophysis. The blondis are heavier with shorter legs the apophysis have longer legs, seem almost taller, and are smaller in the body.

dalitan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aphopysis is more on legs.....blondi is more on body...heheheh...

i think if we're talking o the size, i think if its about legspan, aphopysis...but if we're talking about bodysize....blondi...heheheh

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you seen the darker blondis? T apophysis is that dark color, with almost a pinky glow to it,
I'd rather just say that "dark blondis" are pics of newly molted blondis.

I have 2 juvi apo females, 10-15 cm legspann. One of them are definetly leggier and almost red. Red as Rosea red phase. Pretty cool, haven't seen that color on an apo before. Her sackmate is so much more like an average blondi in body and color.

Scolopendra777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well Iv Got Both And T.a Has Longer Leg Spane And T.b Has Mutch Biger Body Mass

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe there is a difference in the spermatheca. Both have striating hairs on their palps but I believe only the T. apophosys has them on the other front legs.

Some say you can also see a slight difference in the carapace, blondi is flatter, more oval, and bigger proportionally, while a apophosys is almost domed, more circular, and smaller compaired to the rest of the body.
But this is very subjective and seams to be easliy confused.

And to confuse things even more there is supposedly a third yet undescribe species that has the pink feet but no tibial spurs.

personality wise my apophosys have been a little more skittish and move quicker and more often. But this is like distinguishing a rabbit and a hare.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I believe there is a difference in the spermatheca. Both have striating hairs on their palps but I believe only the T. apophosys has them on the other front legs.

Some say you can also see a slight difference in the carapace, blondi is flatter, more oval, and bigger proportionally, while a apophosys is almost domed, more circular, and smaller compaired to the rest of the body.
But this is very subjective and seams to be easliy confused.

And to confuse things even more there is supposedly a third yet undescribe species that has the pink feet but no tibial spurs.

personality wise my apophosys have been a little more skittish and move quicker and more often. But this is like distinguishing a rabbit and a hare.
rabbits and hares are actually pretty different :rolleyes:

Hurts@1st

Arachnopeon
I've just come from the python section of Kingsnake.com where they hybridize any and everything. I don't agree with it about 98% because you get a lot of non visual heterozygous offspring that then float around the industry and some will become breeders for people who have no idea they are hybrids. With all of that said, has anyone tried crossing aphopysis with blondi to create the longest legged & heaviest bodied T on the planet?

You may have to try male aphopysis to female blondi and male blondi to female aphopysis and compare mature offspring. The only reason I think that is because of tigers and lions where a male lion bred to a female tiger will produce an animal 40% larger than either parent, while breeding a male tiger to female lion will result in an animal that is the same or 20% smaller than either parent.

For some reason I want the largest tarantula possible. If the offspring were 40% larger than a blondi with 40% longer legs than an aphopysis... we might be talking about a rabbit eater.

I'm mostly being a goof here but it might be possible.

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Compare this to a T.blondi sling :)

that looks like a T. blondi sling to me lol I have seen several blondis wit pink front feet. aphopysis should have all feet pink till the get bigger.
drach, that's the same thing i thought when i saw that picture. blondi slings do have pink front feet, at least this one on my desk here does. the apophysis sling in the enclosure next to it has pink feet as well of course, but more defined/noticeable.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At Arachnoparty in August, Rick West said that the blondis in the pet trade now are coming from Guyana, and they don't get to be the same size as the Venezuelan ones. Just an interesting tidbit if yr trying to grow yrs out to maximum size...

As for any differences, I think a mature apophysis male gets a purplish hue to it... the pic on tarantulacanada.ca has it...