Feeding Small And Arboreal Spiders

najig21

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about getting an Indian Ornamental, but I have a few concersn. The first one is the fact that I just spelled "concerns" wrong. But after that, I already have an Antilles Pink-toe, and it is very hard to get it to eat because it is never on the ground, and it's always in its web. So what I do is I take the crickets and put them next to the web so that they will walk inside of it. I do not, however, want to do this with an Indian Ornamental because I hear that they are FAST if you open the cage. That and the fact that I hear the bite isn't very pleasant either. I have also been told that they will probably never touch the ground. Does anyone have any advice, or tips on how they keep their own ornamentals? Thanks, guys!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I wonder also as well. My P. Murinus likes to be arboreal most of the time, so it will be hard feeding it. Plus it stays in it's own made retreat so it's not out a whole lot to feed.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey

maybe feed anoles to the indian ornamental, they like to climb and will be bigger for the ornamental to notice them.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by najig21
I was thinking about getting an Indian Ornamental, but I have a few concersn. The first one is the fact that I just spelled "concerns" wrong. But after that, I already have an Antilles Pink-toe, and it is very hard to get it to eat because it is never on the ground, and it's always in its web. So what I do is I take the crickets and put them next to the web so that they will walk inside of it. I do not, however, want to do this with an Indian Ornamental because I hear that they are FAST if you open the cage. That and the fact that I hear the bite isn't very pleasant either. I have also been told that they will probably never touch the ground. Does anyone have any advice, or tips on how they keep their own ornamentals? Thanks, guys!
I have never had problems with versicolors or regalis finding their food, I just throw the prey item in and if the t is hungry it will go down and grab the food (I see my versicolors do this often, from s'lings on up to adults, although I don't recall seeing the regalis do this as it only comes out when it is dark.....but the food is eaten)
IME as long as regalis have a secure place for a hide they will not come rushing out, I have never seen a defensive display by my adult female or adult loaner male, they would prefer to run and hide.
Ed
Ed

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Usumbura is more arboreal than terrestrial and he still manages to get food when he is hungry. I dont see it though cause he only eats at night. My pinktoes that are living together both seem to eat just fine but they have branches that the crickets can climb up so the food comes to them when they are up high. My baby pinktoe and togo starburst both do fine as well even though they spend most of their time in their retreats.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dragon

You are just supposed to leave one cricket at a time there, the animal will eat it eventually dont expect it to eat it the moment you drop the cricket in.