Beginner tarantulas

kaytee576

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your wonderful help and support with my pink toed and helping me to understand about these and I realize they wasn't the perfect spider for me as a beginner.

Now I am looking for a spider that is hardy and preferably a climber.
I would like a spider that copes well that doesn't need to live in real humid conditions and that will be easy for me to keep and hopefully I will be ok as I could not stand to loose another spider.

My idea was if not to sell my tank I have which is more suitable for a climber and invest in a tank that is more basic I guess and suited to a floor dweller. But When I got my pink toed the man in the shop said I shouldn't get a floor dweller as I would never see it as it will always be hiding or buried:? is this true you think?

So im on the look out and I am thankful once again for all your help, No avics please :eek: Ive been told they are so hard to keep :(
I am asking here now as the spider names so confuse me...can you explain in simple terms (for a silly silly girl) thanks so much.

*hugs* xxx

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a curly haired tarantula he doesn't hide all the time and hes as cuddly as a kitten and they get to about 5 5 and a half inches

another one is the Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird eater it gets up to a monstrous 10 inches but are relatively handleable (mines pretty nice) they get pinkish hairs on them and love to sit in the open and the grow like weeds and eat like their in a competition but they are both hardy and easy to get and cheap

so google some pics and see which one peeks your interests:D

MoonYin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI Katee... What the pet shop dork said is not true at all... there are a lot of "land dweller" (terrestrial) Ts that like to be in the open.

Ok...first of all, tis better for you to call Ts by their scientific names as there are too many common names. The scientific name comes in two latin words. e.g. Avicularia avicularia. The first: Avicularia is the genus name, the second avicularia is the species name.... good so far? Ok, in one genus there may be one or more species. e.g. Avicularia avicularia, Avicularia metallica, Avicularia versicolor....:)

Now, back to my suggestions. I will still say try the Brachyphelma genus. Brachyphelma smithi or Brachyphelma boehmi. Or Grammostola rosea and Grammostola aureostriata... These are all great selections.

So far, the best display T that I have had is the Lasiodora parahybana... loves to stay out in the open although the experts would say it is a bit defensive.

Good luck!! :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now I am looking for a spider that is hardy and preferably a climber.
I would like a spider that copes well that doesn't need to live in real humid conditions and that will be easy for me to keep and hopefully I will be ok as I could not stand to loose another spider.
Poecilotheria spp or Psalmopoeus spp are super easy to keep

My idea was if not to sell my tank I have which is more suitable for a climber and invest in a tank that is more basic I guess and suited to a floor dweller. But When I got my pink toed the man in the shop said I shouldn't get a floor dweller as I would never see it as it will always be hiding or buried:? is this true you think?
It depends on which species. Brachypelma are floor dwellers and seem to stay out in the open alot or at least mine do.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Obt!!!

The perfect T for you is a P. murinus (a.k.a. orange baboon tarantula or OBT). They are tough as nails--you can't kill them--ultra easy to take care of and prefer fairly dry conditions. They like to climb and web. They are a beautiful orange color. Typically they are quite inexpensive. Defensive they are, but as long as you know they won't hesitate to bite and don't do something stupid you'll be fine. Go OBT!!!

--the nature boy

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
obt's are indestructable but they are aggro
so thats a good choice unless you want a cuddly t

but i still like curly haired ts (brachypelma albopilosum)

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heyas Kaytee ya silly girl,
PM'd some more help maybe. Talk to you soon. Glad you decided to stay in the hobby :clap: :clap: :clap: . Talk to you soon.
Rev

kaytee576

Arachnopeon
http://exotic-pets.co.uk/tarantulas-for-sale.html

I just found this site online where you can buy tarantulas though most of them on there seem to be unavailable 0_0, I am in the UK, I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a local breeder but I cannot find one :(
What are a spiders chances if they are shipped? would you say its cruel for me to buy one online? just Ive been so put off by my petshops here.
If anyone is from the uk and knows of anyone PLEASE let me know would be a big help!

And Rev your a star:razz: ty for your help and support so far and thank you to all of you too xxx

PS...on that site they say the are Medium to Sub-adult whats this mean? GOSH Im silly but I know a lot about dogs and ferrets....that dont help rofl

jameshay_1uk

Arachnopeon
Hi kaytee576, I have actually bought from that site. I got a young M robustum back in november last year. It came in very good condition and it was well packed. The only trouble that I did have with that store was that I had MASSIVE probs getting them to send it out to me! They forgot to send it out to me on 3 different occasions.

If you want to buy online try;
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk

They have a vast selection of T's and other inverts. Also the guy that runs the store, Lee, is excelent!

kaytee576

Arachnopeon
Ty james :) on that site you can choose from these below...

Sub Adults & Adults
Juveniles
Spiderlings

Mature Males

Which should I be looking at as a beginner? SORRY I will get the hang of this someday 0_0 *hugs* all xxx

PS does anyone please have the time to find me a spider from this shop thats real easy to keep and made of steal? rofl Im sorry im looking and its so hard for me to know....will be most grateful xxx

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=35
OMG I need that how sweet ahhhhhhh perhaps not are they real hard to rear?

Euathlus sp."Violet"
Violet Beauty are these hardy spiders? climbers? SO SORRY I am a pain xxx

Last edited:

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kaytee, the classic beginner T is a Chilean Rose-hair tarantula. They are usually Uber calm. My Rosie never burrows, never hides unless she is molting. She has never threat posed. Now all Ts have different temperaments.

My recommendation is a sub adult or adult. Spiderlings are more sensitive to care issues.

kaytee576

Arachnopeon

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i my opinion the easiest beginner t's would be the g.rosea (rosehair), a.seemani, b. albopilosum (curly)
but since you want a climber... check out p.cambridgei (trinidat chevron), they climb, mine was all over the place..:D . and they have pretty red lightning bolts on their feet.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone else think it is bizarre that a pet store owner would say that aviculara are difficult??? Those are one of the easiest aboreal (climbing) T's to maintain. Am I wrong here??? I've lost more G rosea mysteriously than A aviculara. Haven't had many slings of either but more than a few juvienile and above of each.

Last edited:

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're easy if they're a juvenile (2" and bigger) but with the smaller ones, you tend to get the sudden avic death syndrome. I know experienced keepers whose avic slings sometimes die for no reason.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
any t is pretty easy to take care of as long as their not a sling

kaytee576

Arachnopeon
can anyone advise me on the chile flame at all? a website I saw them for sale on said they dont bite or flick hairs...can this really be true? lol and do you know how hardy they are? this is my fave ive seen so far ive looked so much, are they a relative of chili rose?
thanks for help xxx

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm aware of the difficulty with avic slings but when was the last time you saw a pet store with an avic under two inches????????

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Euathlus sp flame stays small for a T, I think they have urticating hairs on the bottom of the abdomen and push them in and any T can bite. An ok T not like a rosie though and the site indicates they are wild caught.
Rev