Sealed up burrow?

Lick496

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know T's do this every so often, and my B. Albopilosum sling did this today. Anyone know why?

stephen burton

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelmas seal their burrow when they want some privacy to molt (most of mine have well developed burrow systems). Maybe you are in for a nice surprise??

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Which is odd..

i have a b. vagans female i got last year october. she molted this spring for me, 7 months later., 4 months later she's covered her burrow up. Maybe it's because of the frequency of her feedings? no idea. but i can't see in anymore. i'll just give her the space, she's about 5.5" leg to leg

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know about Brachypelma, but my Aphonopelma seemanni does this most of the time. Seals up both entrances.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My H. Lividium seals up her "gun barrel" as I call it, all the time..... For no apparent reason. Then breaks it when she goes poop outside the hole, and re-webs it....

Lick496

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. My B. Albopilosum is about 1 inch, ive only had him/her for a week and a half. How long do you think it will be til a molt happens? I wont feed her until a bit after she reopens it i guess

Lick496

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also, if he/she does molt down there, will i have to ruin her burrow to pull the moult out?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want the molt, then you might. Some spiders will push the molt out of their burrow when they're ready.

If you don't care about the molt, just leave it in there. Most spiders incorporate it into their burrow.

bio teacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of my Aphonopelma sp. do this when they are getting ready to molt. My A. seemanni sealed itself in its burrow for 4 months before it finally molted. That was 7 months ago and it is sealed up in its burrow again. My A. behlei sling has been sealed up in its burrow for 2 months now and my A. hentzi sling has been sealed up in its burrow for several weeks. It is normal, just wait it out and you will soon have a larger T.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many of my T's seal up their burrows just for privacy, as someone else mentioned. My H lividum does it each time after she eats. I wouldn't open up her burrow if my life depended on it! :eek:

and yes, T's DO often incorporate their old exos into the burrow. I like to think of it as a new decorating style.;)

quiroga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my chaco does it too. but hadnt molted yet. im 50/50 its premolt cos it cant climb the walls properly(it can though but slides down very slowly). correct me if im wrong. :eek: