P. Regalis Molt Sequence - Bad Molt (Pics & Video)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, our female P. Regalis molted late last night/early this morning and it didn't go well. I started another thread with a few pics last night but wanted to started a new thread with the entire molt sequence and a video I just took so all the info is in one place. Any advice or info on what went wrong is appreciated. She seems better than I thought she'd be considering how she looked right after the molt. The whole family is upset and very worried about her...

Here's the molt sequence (make sure you watch the video at the end...):

After the molt, she turned right side up by herself:

About 2 hours after she molted:

Video taken about an hour ago:

[youtube]lmYRh78-cCE[/youtube]

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish I knew what to tell yah. I never seen this before. It looks like she is lacking some kind of nutrient possibly? You would definitely have to see if anyone has experianced this before. Hopefully she can live with the issue at hand, and possibly she may speed up her molt process to repair herself.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wish I knew what to tell yah. I never seen this before. It looks like she is lacking some kind of nutrient possibly? You would definitely have to see if anyone has experianced this before. Hopefully she can live with the issue at hand, and possibly she may speed up her molt process to repair herself.
Now that you say that the former owner (I have only had her since Aug 2) fed her mainly pinkie mice and when i got her she was in pre-molt and only has eaten one B.Dubia....this could have been the cause, probaly to much calcium.....rob

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well I dont know if I would classify that as a failed molt. She looks like she will pull through because she has all her sensory senses by the looks of it. I do notice the difference in the thickness on her legs but I dont think you should worry, the molt did however look kinda wetter than most molts ive seen . She is very beautiful tho.:drool:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well I dont know if I would classify that as a failed molt. She looks like she will pull through because she has all her sensory senses by the looks of it. I do notice the difference in the thickness on her legs but I dont think you should worry, the molt did however look kinda wetter than most molts ive seen . She is very beautiful tho.:drool:
I think the thickness of the legs decreased because of her losing fluid from the molt, I have 2 water bowls in there right now....when I went to put the other water bowl in she did attack me......that is a good sign I guess....rob

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All I really have to say now is STOP MESSING WITH HER.

Recently I had a larger ornata that had just molted maybe 2 days before hand and she was startled by me picking up her tank. The result was her spazing out and busting open several legs at the seams. Bleeding that I could not control ultimately caused her death.

So as concerned as you may be now with what is going on the best thing you can do is LEAVE HER ALONE and hope for the best. I don't see anything really wrong with her at the moment. But anything you see that is off now could be corrected in the following molt. But you will never make it to the next molt if you keep poking at her.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All I really have to say now is STOP MESSING WITH HER.

Recently I had a larger ornata that had just molted maybe 2 days before hand and she was startled by me picking up her tank. The result was her spazing out and busting open several legs at the seams. Bleeding that I could not control ultimately caused her death.

So as concerned as you may be now with what is going on the best thing you can do is LEAVE HER ALONE and hope for the best. I don't see anything really wrong with her at the moment. But anything you see that is off now could be corrected in the following molt. But you will never make it to the next molt if you keep poking at her.
I agree Ryan I only did that for people tio see maybe something I wasn't seeing, not messing with her at all, I have a sheet over her enclosure and be left alone....rob

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can no longer see the video. It says, "no longer available".
How 'bout an update?

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

Wait til she hardens up for now Rob. Her abdomen looks fine to me now. Not every t will look the same when it molts. You just happened to have the one. I can't see anything wrong with the movements other than the long lanky pace which big t's do after they molt. Maybe it's less hair that makes her look scrawny. You take a shaggy dog and give it a hair cut you wouldn't believe how small it looks.. You can see she is climbing around with no problems. Just let her be and see what happens next.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree I have a thread about recieving a regalis I sold and she has one skinny leg due to a bad handling by the last owner that regenerated but is small her conditions were sub optimal... well I have had her 3 days and she is eating like a machine which she never did before as she was fed on a schedule with me. I mean no disrespect from one hobbyist to another but what was your humidity saturation and how often was she fed prior to molt??? I hope she makes it I would just give her some time and increase humidity. best of luck. ;)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can no longer see the video. It says, "no longer available".
How 'bout an update?
They are doing sit maintance on youtube:mad: but she is moving around the enclosure like normal, I fear she may be dehydrated so I have put a waterdish in front and back of the enclosure.....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wait til she hardens up for now Rob. Her abdomen looks fine to me now. Not every t will look the same when it molts. You just happened to have the one. I can't see anything wrong with the movements other than the long lanky pace which big t's do after they molt. Maybe it's less hair that makes her look scrawny. You take a shaggy dog and give it a hair cut you wouldn't believe how small it looks.. You can see she is climbing around with no problems. Just let her be and see what happens next.
That is what I am doing, i will probaly wait until next molt to breed her, so i will sell my MM and get another when the time comes....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would have to agree I have a thread about recieving a regalis I sold and she has one skinny leg due to a bad handling by the last owner that regenerated but is small her conditions were sub optimal... well I have had her 3 days and she is eating like a machine which she never did before as she was fed on a schedule with me. I mean no disrespect from one hobbyist to another but what was your humidity saturation and how often was she fed prior to molt??? I hope she makes it I would just give her some time and increase humidity. best of luck. ;)
I have only had her for a month, she was fed a pinkie mouse diet, but when I got her she was basicaly in premolt, so she ate one dubia in my care then refused food up to the molt. She is kept in my T-room wich is temp/humidity controlled ((82 degrees/80% humidity during the day) and (75-77 degrees 75% humidity at night)....rob

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have only had her for a month, she was fed a pinkie mouse diet, but when I got her she was basicaly in premolt, so she ate one dubia in my care then refused food up to the molt. She is kept in my T-room wich is temp/humidity controlled ((82 degrees/80% humidity during the day) and (75-77 degrees 75% humidity at night)....rob
Maybe due to her size she is just taking longer to recover....My large female Regalis hates it when I move or clean her enclosure and actually does better when I never fuss with her it maybe an adjustment thing who knows I wish you best of luck.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe due to her size she is just taking longer to recover....My large female Regalis hates it when I move or clean her enclosure and actually does better when I never fuss with her it maybe an adjustment thing who knows I wish you best of luck.
One thing for sure is she will bite, she tried when I went to fill the water bowl....rob

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing for sure is she will bite, she tried when I went to fill the water bowl....rob
That is a good sign and it is the nature of the beast...I wouldn't worry you have done all you can do just give it time. She has molted and has mobility are her fangs intact?? I would just let her be and give it time my Blondi suffered a bad molt do to me being out of town and she was sluggish for a week but has made a full recovery. Nature finds a way she looks active enough nt at full speed but aggression is a good sign.:D :D :D Matt

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is a good sign and it is the nature of the beast...I wouldn't worry you have done all you can do just give it time. She has molted and has mobility are her fangs intact?? I would just let her be and give it time my Blondi suffered a bad molt do to me being out of town and she was sluggish for a week but has made a full recovery. Nature finds a way she looks active enough nt at full speed but aggression is a good sign.:D :D :D Matt
Fangs are in great shape, she is realy moving around, but i am going to hold off on the mating....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This a good sign, she is drinking a lot of water, hopefully she will restore some of the fluid she lost during this bad molt.