who has the largest....

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
who has what they assume to be the largest Tarantual of all the keepers that frequent this board... anyone think they have the Monster of all Monsters? any one got anything that breaks 12 inches? 10? Most of the stuff I kept is small the biggest is perhaps 5 inches or so ... a very old A.Sem...

I did see the hugest T.bondi at regals when pat still was there this thing was just huge... it's hard to describe ... he fed it a pinkey and it honestly was compairable to one of the T's I have eating a crix...

so lets see your largest and see who can claim the honary title of
:Keeper of the Largest Tarantula:
here at the boards...

your truely-
looseyfur...

if this thread has already been done I am sorry ...
;P

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can we see some pics on a ruler or with something in the pic for comparison? That will make it a lot easier to judge.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And yet another one of those threads ....

here

Dennis

[edit:forgot the link]

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Don't mind this thread, actually find it kind of interesting. I DON'T want to hear about the 12 inch T you had unless you have a picture of it next to a ruler....

If you don't have pics of your monsters, with something for scale next to it, DON'T POST.

Have a nice day ;)

Scott :)

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a Sub-adult Black Violet Birdeater (Lasiodora itabunae), 8in. bad picture taker. It dosen't show the dark purple on both of the front legs, and at the part of the joint just after the femur, bad angle too. Pretty skittish though, possibly pre-molt.
Steve

Attachments

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has she molted since that pic? That pic is a 5" maybe 5.5" tarantula.

Looks like she may have some cool color iridescence though.

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope, shes alot bigger than my 5 1/2in. G. rosea. I had a bad camera angle, and her front and back legs are kinda folded up. I'll try to get a better pic later, shes very skittish for a Lasiodora. You can kinda tell, how the angle is bad by seeing how the measuring tape narrows.
Steve

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No offense, but that spider is nowhere near 8 inches not even close

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although one leg IS at the 8" mark, in order for the specimen to actually BE 8", the other leg must be at the 'zero' mark. Or at least in my warped little mind:?

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try and get another pic up with a better angle. I would like to see more of her colors too.

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, her back legs are scrunched up, and the angle makes the measuring tape look longer than it is, if someone will notice how it narrows, and isnt the same width the whole way down.
Steve

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Poecilotheria
Well, her back legs are scrunched up, and the angle makes the measuring tape look longer than it is, if someone will notice how it narrows, and isnt the same width the whole way down.
Steve
<edited, you know why... - MrD>

Even though the perspective does change slightly, the inch-markers are still on the tape, and regardless of the angle, the distance between the inch markers is one inch. If the spider is placed within the 3"-8" region, with its legs CLEARLY placed on the tape, that's the size it is.

How about all pics to be taken laterally, with the spider next to/on top of the ruler?

Apologies that I'm compalining yet failing to post any of my own pictures :<

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, i'll get a straight up down picture tomorrow. I measure my T's wth their legs stretched out, thats ow I was told to do it when I first go into T's. Anyways, i'll get a better angle tomorrow.
Steve

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Geez... I GOTTA get a camera! I feel so left out! :? (hehe)

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the largest fo my T. blondi, I think she is about a molt away from maturity. I listed her as 9 inches in an earlier thread, but my mind was exaggerating a tad, she is more like 7.5 - 8 " in legspan. Definitely not the very largest but still pretty big. My tape measure was all crinkled and in some places the blondi was behind it and in some places (at the same time) in front of it, so I've included three different shots to give an overall view from some different angles and ways of holding the tape.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
wow...these spiders just don't wanna cooperate!
Here is my small female that just molted, her exuvia measures 5.5", I think she is somewhere between 6"-7" or so

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is my mature male. His exuvia measures 6.5". I'm thinking he's around 7" or a bit over...very hard to tell. He's got those long legs though!

Last edited: