Ether or Chloroform for T?

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just read some post about dying T's and the most used way to end their life, is to put them in the freezer.
I used to use a different way for my rodents. I would drench a cloth in either Ether or Chloroform (not sure if you guys use these names for it, didn't know other names) and put it in a box with the rodent. Death comes quick and painless (as far as I can tell).
Would that work for a T?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would think their chemoreceptors would cause them to freak out.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I think those chemicals wold kill them but it might wreak havoc on their senses first. Their breathing is a lot slower than mammals and they "smell" with organs all over their body (or is it just their feet?). Most likely not painless for them.

Probably the MOST suffering-free way to put one down would be put it in an airtight enclosure and pump it full of CO2. I've seen where this is used as a temporary anesthetic for milking Latrodectus venom and IIRC somebody here on AB used it to put a pokey under to lance a boil.

Just leave it in the CO2 environment longer and it will expire. Then freeze it to make double sure.

Personally, I'm not sure where I stand on the arachnid euthanasia question. I'll certainly concede that it's no fun watching a MM on his slow downward spiral though.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Freezing works but why not just use dry ice to produce CO2 thats how we used to gas the rodents for frozen feeders when the colonies got too full. Works like a charm and probably less expensive than chemicals.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Freezing works but why not just use dry ice to produce CO2 thats how we used to gas the rodents for frozen feeders when the colonies got too full. Works like a charm and probably less expensive than chemicals.
Probably less expensive than chemicals? Depends on what chemicals and what quantity. The freezer is pretty cheap since most people pay for that whether they use it or not. If you really want to kill a T fast and aren't worried about it's condition afterwards, drop a safe on it. It's really cheap becuase you can use the safe over and over. Just scrape the bottom clean afterwards. As far as buying dry ice, it's not THAT cheap and not THAT easy to find and not really convenient to store. I'll just stick with the freezer. Years ago while collecting insects in Brazil for an insect dealer in the US, I killed most insects with an injection of rubbing alcohol. It kills very fast.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you should just use the ether on yourself and use the chloroform on other people

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use chloroform at work to anesthetize black widow spiders. I use a dessicator jar, with the chloroform under the screen and put the spider vial in the desiccator on top. Close the jar. It takes about 45 minutes for the spider to be safe to handle.

I wouldn't use ether - too explosive!

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you should just use the ether on yourself and use the chloroform on other people
"How long would it be before me or my attorney started screaming about bats and giant manta rays swooping down on the car?"

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"How long would it be before me or my attorney started screaming about bats and giant manta rays swooping down on the car?"
Im not trying to be a wise butt ,but, wth are you talking about :?

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. The freezer just sounds so cruel. I know T's have different bodies and senses then we do, but when I think of freezing to death, it sounds very painfull.
I haven't yet had any T's that I have to kill, but just want to be prepared (have an MM Pokie).

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We freeze a lot slower than spiders, thus pain. But from what I've read, for humans, once you get past the pain it's more like going to sleep. I doubt the T's suffer from freezing. They are cold blooded and simply stop moving, go to sleep and never wake up.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im not trying to be a wise butt ,but, wth are you talking about :?
Lol i cant believe no one on here has seen the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Johnny Depp and del Toro...based on a book by Hunter S. Thompson...no?...nevermind:rolleyes:

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

a swift thump with a flat shoe should do the trick rather quickly.