Antrodiaetus unicolor...?

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
caught this today :D any idea how to care for it in captivity and how long should i expect it to live? in the 2 last pics i was trying to coach it out from under a leaf and it bit and held onto the plastic straw!!! :eek:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's awesome!!!

How did you find it?

I suppose how long it lives would depend on the sex and the current age?

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i spotted it while walking up my driveway lol im reading that females rarely leave there web so probably a male so probably short lived? :(

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is awesome.. Good find. I'm going on a trapdoor hunt on the morrow. ;) Wish me luck.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would actually suggest that you try to find a female and either try to mate them or let this one go.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Being out of the burrow would seem to indicate it being male, except while not too familiar with this particular species, and the abdomen looks rather thin; I would think the legs would be longer in proportion to the BL. Also, I can't get a good look from the pics, but the palps don't look like they have bulbs of any kind. There are many instances where a female might roam: home was disturbed, food source disrupted (thin abdomen?), flooding, etc...

If you really think it's a male and you have time, maybe you could let him go at the time of day you found him and see if he leads you to a female?

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, they are amazing spiders. This thread is actually from years ago but this species do not seem to be as popular as they should be.