Sulcate or Russian Tortoise

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can anyone either tell me or point me to a resource to tell if my tortoise is a russian tortoise or a sulcata? I just read elsewhere that they look very similar and I don't want to get stuck with the world's 3rd largest tortoise instead of one of the world's smallest.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i cant find my transfer cable, but when i do i will post pics. in the meantime though, are UV lights a necessity with these guys or are they like ball pythons who only need a ceramic light or UTH?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use a full spectrum light with my tortoise.
In the wild, ball pythons stay in their hides during the day, so they don't get exposed to UV, which is why they don't need it in captivity. While tortoises do utilize hides, they also spend a good amount of time outdoors, catching rays from the sun.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll go and get a compact florescent UV bulb tomorrow. Can anyone give me an idea which one is the best? I'm assuming I should pick the desert one over the tropical one (i think there's a third but i can't remember). From what I hear, I think it's supposed to be the one with the most UVB?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'll go and get a compact florescent UV bulb tomorrow. Can anyone give me an idea which one is the best? I'm assuming I should pick the desert one over the tropical one (i think there's a third but i can't remember). From what I hear, I think it's supposed to be the one with the most UVB?
I use the Repti-Glo 2.0 bulb from Exo-Terra. Not sure if its the best or what, but my tortoise seems to be doing well with it.