OMG my Rosie is molting at this very second!! Is it normal for it to be molting in its hiding spot?

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
Hey all, Im so nervous I found out my rosie decided to molt today, the first molt I've seen it do(I've had it for a year). it was upside down and now after 6 hours, it's legs are still all up in the air and I'm hoping that it comes through okay even though its in its hide. I haven't touched it or anything I'm just observing it right now. The molt isnt done... hopefully it came out alright I wonder if its a male or female hmmmm... any advice? When do I remove the molt btw?

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is fine, just leave it alone and everything will be shiny :cool:

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
omg, I think its done. I just saw its behind and spineretts and its nto upside down anymore.... its standing right next to its molt and nothing looks deformed and it looks like its still alive... should I take the molt away from him or her and see if its a male or female? I wanna know the sex tonight!!!!!!!!!

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You shouldn't stress it out any more than it already is. Wait about a week then start checking. And no, you can leave its molt in there for now. My rosea molted a few days ago and its molt is still in the tank, I don't want to disturb him. :p

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not patient enough to wait a week if I'm trying to determine the sex. I take it out as soon as the T is not touching it. Certainly by the next day. This way the molt is still in good shape and soft. If you wait too long you may have to put it in wet paper towels to soften it up.

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
or it may be destroyed by that time, so no sexing will be done.

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
So I woke up this morning and Athena is standing perfectly fine next to its molt. Right now athena is in the way and I can't take the molt out yet. I tried to get Athena to move out of the way, but she wont leave her hide where the molt is. How long does the molt last before it becomes useless? She just molted yesterday so its been about 24 hours I guess..... how long is the molt good for? I want to take it out so I can see if I can sex the tarantula. So far I'm thinking it might be a female since I dont see any hooks on it after its molt.

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please do not mess with the tarantula for a few days. Don't bump the cage, don't do anything to startle it. The tarantula's exoskeleton is very fragile right now and will take a few days to harden. Knowing what sex it was won't be worth getting it killed.

If you don't get the molt, you can still wait and get a picture of the underside of the tarantula, particuarly the forward part of the underside of the abdomen, where the epigastric furrow is located. It can be sexed that way too.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ Kupo: Well sure they do!! Weren't you excited about your first moult? I still get excited over moults and I have around 270 Ts now!!! Moults are exciting and sometimes scary things.
@ the OP: Congratulations!!!!!! Now take a deep breath and relax. Your T knows what he or she is doing, and will be just fine.
Wait for a couple of days before you remove the skin, and then do it very carefully and disturb the T as little as possible. Its very delicate right now and you could injure it without meaning to.
Start another thread when you get the skin and we can get you some help in sexing it.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love how people freak out when t's are molting.... lmao
The first one is definitely suspenseful and good for laughing at yourself months later at how much you panicked.

TS: It'll be fine. Just wait until your T leaves its hide and then pull out the molt. I was able to soften up a molt from one of my Ts three days after it molted. Just fill up a small tub or container with warm water and soak the molt in it for a few minutes. Be gentle with it.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The OP's tarantula molted four years ago. I wonder if they've retrieved the molt yet?? I can't stand not knowing ;)

Last edited:

Furret

Arachnosquire
my rosie, Dandruff, always molts in her hiding spot. it's normal, so don't worry :)

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No worries guys. I hopped in my DeLorean and took a spin back to 2008. Turns out the OP used tongs to remove the molt. Whew!

While I was there I withdrew all my money from the stock market, invested in gold and took in Michael Phelps stunning performance at the Olympics, all without causing a universe shattering paradox.