Help with my rescued Russian Tortoise

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've already posted about this guy I found abandoned but I'm starting to get worried about him. He hasn't eaten since I got him and every time he tries he just bites at the air in front of the food. I went and picked him some dandylion leaves and it's making me very sad watching him try to eat in vain. I spent all my money to provide him with proper heat and UV lighting and I can't afford a vet. Should I be worried?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what are the temps? Tortoises hibernate in the winter. You could try keeping him warmer, and see if he'll snap out of it and start eating again. Or maybe since he's biting at the air, hold the food right in front of his mouth... A vet visit would be best, though.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know the exact temperature but it's 80 in my room, there's a medium sized UTH, and a compact florescent UVA/B buld (the ridiculously expensive kind). I'm pretty sure it's warm enough. I'm worried he might be sick cuz the guy who abandoned him only had a ceramic heat bulb and it hadn't had food or water in almost two months.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah, then the best bet will probably be a vet visit, unfortunately.
you might also look to see if there is a tortoise club or something in your area. Someone with tortoise experience might be able to take a look at him and be able to help. Good luck with the little fella...

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
put the food in his mouth when he goes to bite it I would say vet is the best way to go I dont mean to sound rude but if you cant afford to take it to the vet perhaps you should try to locate it a home with someone who can afford to

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
put the food in his mouth when he goes to bite it I would say vet is the best way to go I dont mean to sound rude but if you cant afford to take it to the vet perhaps you should try to locate it a home with someone who can afford to
I'm trying to but my only options is to send it back to hell (a pet store) or give it to someone, which is even more difficult because it's hard to find someone with the knowledge and will to keep something like this. These are pets you have the rest of your life, that turns a lot of people off right away.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
should i try prying his mouth open and force feeding him? i've had success doing that with lizards, but never tried it with anything else.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i definitely wouldn't recommend prying its mouth open :(

is it at least drinking?

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm trying to but my only options is to send it back to hell (a pet store) or give it to someone, which is even more difficult because it's hard to find someone with the knowledge and will to keep something like this. These are pets you have the rest of your life, that turns a lot of people off right away.
Like I said I dont mean to sound rude or condescending have you tried www.faunaclassifieds.com they have a good discussion forum thats more reptile based so you might be able to get some better info from them

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like I said I dont mean to sound rude or condescending have you tried www.faunaclassifieds.com they have a good discussion forum thats more reptile based so you might be able to get some better info from them
Just what i was looking for. Thank you. It is very difficult when a pet like this just falls into your lap without being able to prepare or research beforehand. I'm just really upset at the person who abandoned it in that house. Some people just suck at life.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just what i was looking for. Thank you. It is very difficult when a pet like this just falls into your lap without being able to prepare or research beforehand. I'm just really upset at the person who abandoned it in that house. Some people just suck at life.
yea its a tough situation I have converted my home into an informal rescue I take just about anything in to make sure it has a good home I very much agree about people sucking