T's in Florida

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are there any in Florida? I have no idea, and forgive me if this is a stupid question. I want to go Scorp hunting there, and I also just thought about T hunting if possible.

If there are any, what species might I find there?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From what I've heard and read, there are some Brachypelma vagans there. They were released by hobbyists some time ago, and are a real pain in the behind now to guys with orchards because when the guys who pick the fruit for him see one of those spiders, they get scared, and doesn't want to work there anymore.
They are also in very hard to 'exterminate' because they have their burrows very close to the water. I have seen those guys digigng up a few, maybe you can do the same...

I don't really know for sure if this was the case, but it was something with Rick West, and Florida and B. vagans...

Dennis

mdfic

Arachnopeon
every once in awhile you might find a small blurb in the local papers about t's in orchards but most of the time they are caught or killed. my sister's biology teacher caught one in an orange grove a few years back. i dont know what species. if you contact some local grove owners you might get permission to go hunting. i dont know how plentiful they are or what area of the state they can be found. but i know that the grove owners would be more than happy if you took care of their so called problem.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah there is a colony in Fort Pierce, FL. From what we understand it is pretty well established. There are no native T's but there is that B. vagan colony. Bark scorps are all over the place.