Centipedes of Thailand

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
I'm back from my trip to Thailand. On the island Koh Samet I found 2 specimens of Scolopendra suspinipes dehaani. The first one (pic1) was about 13-15cm and found under leaves on the forest floor. It was quite docile and was observed a few hours later under the same big leaf where I put it before.

The second one (pic2+3) was found in a rotten tree trunk near the beach and seemed in the first moments like a 40cm monster. It was fast and handling (for an non-Scolpendra keeper like me) was hard and btw I wore only flip-flops. After about 5 minutes (feeling like hours) it stands still for some pics. In fact it was about only 22-25cm and thicker like my thumb.

Attachments

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another smaller species (about 6cm) was caught in the south of Thailand north of Khao Lak in a leaf layer on a quite open site near a forest. If somebody has a guess what species it is. I can also make some better photos if some details are needed for determination.

@Turgut: If you want that cute guy you can have him ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Peter,

welcome back & thanks sooo much!
Since Otostigmus scaber is missing in my collection.:drool:

Hope your vacation was interesting & exciting.
Your millipedes from Tenerife are in "Leidhecken", ready to be fetched. :)

Regards
Turgut

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ mauer:

I don`t think, that they are only from Java island. According to chilobase, they come also from the Philippines - and I think, why not from whole Southeast Asian?

MaueR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ krabbelspinne

Oh! sorry! Mea culpa! S. spinosissima living on Philippines and Nergo island, not java :liar:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The local kids out in the hills sometimes refer to these as 'Jep Daeng' or 'red pain. Obnoxious, aggressive and ubiquitous.