The ignorance is staggering...and funny!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I came across this on yahoo, earlier today. I'm still wiping the tears of horror and hilarity from my eyes...
If this story is true; then every smithi we have for sale at present will need a serious increase in pricing....ROFLOL!! OMG, my stomach hurts, now! {D {D {D

** Tarantula posted to shop worker **
A man is arrested after a female shop assistant opens a package to find a large spider inside.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/4876048.stm >

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At least they were close by saying it's only dangerous if you had a reaction.. however.. I think it's still up in the air if it's truly possible to have the same reaction as you do to bee stings due to the proteins.

ah well

oh, if anyone in europe has a 10" b smithi.. let me know cause i'll give you a grand for it!

that would be a mean prank, but send all your mature males after breeding to an unsuspecting person? lol

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG 10" WIDE LOL!!!
beware guys, she is deadly, her VICTIMS are lost
omg, rofl!!!!{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The article makes it sound like it's a really frightening and potentially dangerous spider. At least the picture has someone holding it in their bare hand. :eek:

Kinda cancels the panic out just a little.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why on earth would he use a B. smithi? Wouldn't anyone actually trying to use a poison pen technique at least use a potentially dangerous species, like a black widow? Widows are also... cheap as free.

Also... news agencies need to stop saying things like these are possibly lethal. If we had even one case of someone dying from an allergic reaction, then we can start saying it's a possibility.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
10"...climbs trees...potentially fatal...can blind you and......it's RARE!!!
That's it...the prices just jumped all over the board....
OMG...I can't stop...someone make it stop - it hurts.....{D {D {D {D {D

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I nearly fell out of my chair after reading this one. This just goes to show how accurate reporters can be. They probably asked a check out clerk at the local pet store for information.

BTW; I have an endangered male B smithi for sale. Only $800. Keep in mind, he could be up to 10 inches!! {D {D {D {D {D

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:( Well, I feel kind of bad for the spider actually. Bad enough to be jammed into tight quarters, tossed around the mail room and then received by someone ill prepared and not joyful about receiving such a precious package. I wonder what will become of it... Good idea contacting the publication and squawking a bit.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
:( Well, I feel kind of bad for the spider actually. Bad enough to be jammed into tight quarters, tossed around the mail room and then received by someone ill prepared and not joyful about receiving such a precious package. I wonder what will become of it... Good idea contacting the publication and squawking a bit.
have you Squawked yet?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A 10" B smithi that climbs trees.
Those Europeans always have the best T's:D

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a great article. I didnt know they got to be 10" wow lol

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Probably perches in the trees throws down a noose of webbing to capture stray dogs and unsuspecting children to dine on.....after it blinds them 1st of course.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The incredibly rare 10'' endangered brachypelma smithi tarantula...lol...im used to seeing peoples ignorance about Ts though.

It was just today that i heard someone say "Yea them there white tarantulas have extremely dangerous and fatal venom."

Like I said...Im used to it by now.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was about to write a comment to them (and probably still will) and went to grab the date of the article to reference for them...

It shows me the article is from April 4, 2006.......about 2.5 years ago.....doesn't change how wildly inaccurate it is ;P but it might make it hard for them to issue any correction of it.....

Hopefully any comments left will help them if they have to write any articles about Ts in the future though!

Meanwhile, I better to check on my b. smithi sling....that thing is going to get to be 10" after all!!! My L. parahybana sling better watch out for it - smithis are dangerous tree climbers too after all! {D

The only thing I find kinda bad about it is that its from the BBC, which is often respected, and people who try and show how horrible and awful arachnids are any why they should all go away can use it as ammunition - the BBC says they are dangerous, so they must be! :wall:

Luckily there has probably been enough research to soundly defeat most of the absurd claims in that article. Does make you wondering who is doing the research for them though!

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Meanwhile, I better to check on my b. smithi sling....that thing is going to get to be 10" after all!!! My L. parahybana sling better watch out for it - smithis are dangerous tree climbers too after all! {D
Better supply it with plenty of trees to climb around in your house. It might get angry, blind you then fatally bite you.

If anyone believes this article I have a sweet little blondi that is like a small kitten. You know they rear up when they want to give you lots of hugs and kisses. {D

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this article was good for a great laugh. I noticed all articles in BBC state that T's are so dangerous.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just found out that Britain is trying to ban ALL tarantula keeping. This is pit-bull type legislation at it purest form.
This is the time to speak up, folks...if the BBC is saying they should ban keeping of T's..and everyone believes their word...then WE'RE LOGICALLY NEXT!!!
Speak up!! Even if it's an old report - ( I found it on yahoo's main page just today) - we need to add good information and comments to negate this kind of inaccurate and legalistically slanted reporting.
This was just funny when I posted it - but now that I know what's behind it.....:embarrassed: