South african scolopendra species

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey,....

question:

does anybody know wich species of scolopendra or hemiscolopendra can be found in south africa?

thanx

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gongyles

i did own a couple of pedes from south africa but never found out what they where:? i brought them as south african tiger pedes sorry i cant be more help

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
can i find pictures of them on your site?

did you ever seen a southafrican pede with a blue tummy and a black back with orange leggs and orange head ?

i'll guess that their are many unknown scolopendra species yet to be found in Africa,... seems like most popular are the south-american species :?

greetz :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gongyles

there is a picture of the south african pede i owned on my site as for the south american pedes they are very very very hard to find over here i have only seen them twice before in this country the first time was in an importers and the second time was at a spider show all we seem to get is species from tanzania and asia imported on a regular basis as for the pede you described ive never seen 1 like that

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
so at the UK you've got plenty african species?,... seems to me that here in Belgium the only species beeing offerd are vietnamese subspinipes,... :(

hopefully i'll get some pictures of a guy i know who has 5 different southafrican species :eek:

i'll keep you all informed :D

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here in Sweden it's rather easy to get a few tanzanian species. We have a few dealers that import from tanzania on a regular basis. It's usually Alipes, yellowlegs, morsitans, different tiger centipedes, cingulata, and a few blue legged ones.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
in the uk we seem to get the same species that aftershock gets in sweden but we dont get that many alipes sp:

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Aftershock
is correct that most of the pedes beeing offered in Sweden come from German dealers ?

@Fatbloke
how's the situation in the UK,.. i mean with dealers and stuff,... don't your UKdealers get them also from german dealers?

greetz

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gongyles

i know some suppliers order direct to the country of origin while other shops get them via reptile importers which i believe come straight from the country of origin as far as i know they dont come from german dealers this would probably account for the lack of different species

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've noticed that you've also got a peruvian gigantea,.... from wich dealer did you get that ?

as far as i remember Aftershock did get his from the same german dealer as mine :D

anybody know how many species do come from that big continent Africa ;) :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gongyles

i have 2 peruvian gigantea 1 of them has a couple of legs missing:( but its the first time ive seen them in the uk so i brought the only 2 adults the dealer had with him i think a german dealer:? at the bts show in may so maybe its the same dealer you got yours from

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've seen the pictures on your site of your gigantea,... just looks the same,... and i've seen picts of Aftershocks gigantea,... also almost identical,.... coincidence or not ? :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they could of all come from the same dealer as i know its the biggest spider show in the uk and there are breeders from all over europe who turn up and also a couple of breeders from the u.s.a turned up this year:?

fatbloke

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gongyles>>>

No there are no german dealers involved. It's mailnly two dealers in sweden that do imports, and they import directly from tanzania.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've received my South-African species 2 different spec.

i'll post pictures of them at hte end of the week,....:)

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey gongyles just found out there is a article in reptile and amphibian hobbyist about south african rainbow centipede volume6 issue 5 by Lenny Flank jr hope this might be of help or someone on boards might have a copy they could give us the info from :( :) :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
intresting,...
are you sure it is rainbow CENTIpede not rainbow MILIpede ?,..
cause i've never heard about rainbow centipedes,....:?

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well thats what it says, thats the only information i have on it,
and i havnt heard of it too!!!! :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wayne just wondering has the magazine got a web site:?

john

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi this magazine is no longer in print but lenny flank does have a web page might e mail him to see what information i can get out of him :p oh and heres that pic of the pede from borneo with eggs sorry its so small just bit better than the last one:D

Last edited: