• Yes

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • no

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just wondering, because I'd like to try it with my A. avic. I used to hand feed my chameleon every now and then, and it was really awesome.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
If using tweezers counts, I hand feed my A. avic:D

I would never just use my hand. He jumps the tweezers:eek:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As per, Marcie, I "hand" feed with hemostats many of my Ts. It's very cool but watching the way everything gets grabbed and *then* the food is separated from the chaff, I'm not about to try my fingers (particularly with my N. coloratovilosus who sometimes jumps up into the air to grab the food on the tongs).

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've actually hand fed (with my hand) a few avics, but I stopped when the versicolor grabbed my hand along with the food :)
It freaked me out, and was hard to hold still.
I do it with my pokies (with tongs, not my hand!). They come up to the lip of the container and wait for me to toss them something. They will catch it in midair most of the time. They are not shy about taking it right from the tongs either.
The arboreals seem to grasp (haha) this concept much easier than my terrestrials.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm.... Prehaps I should try using tongs or tweezers. Sometimes my cham would miss (not often) and she had to pull my finger into her mouth and bite down before her tongue would 'release'. Good thing for my finger she was a small female and not an adult male veiled. :D
I've been meaning to pick up some tongs at wal-mart anyway....

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have hand fed a few things, I used to do it with tongs, but I can't find what happened to my tongs, so I've been using my hand. So far the ones I've actually had take food from my hand have been pretty accurate about not grabbing a finger instead of the food. I feed my A. avicularia and P. cambridgei that way.

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed Bungee with tweezers. This is both a fun and useful choice because he's been getting thawed crickets lately and putting them near him and wiggling shows him where it's at.

I'd consider occasionally feeding him without the tweezers when he's older and bigger and the food is no longer able to lose itself in my grasp, but only dead large crickets. Live ones are vicious. I love holding my spider, but crickets... yuck. :p

Greensleeves

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess you could call it hand feeding... I used to have this one A.avic that I played catch with... She'd sit on the side of her tank and I'd toss crix directly to her and she'd snatch them out of the air. Genally though, I just release a couple in to a T's tank and let them blunder in to the T.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No guys. Tweezers don't count.

I tried it once with a 2" versi but it's a bit scarry when it attacks your finger too.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only forceps, but I do that with pretty much all my Ts. I won't use my fingers since my Ts attack the bare forceps. They have me trained very well. :D

Karen N.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've actually hand fed (with my hand) a few avics, but I stopped when the versicolor grabbed my hand along with the food
ditto here. that was the only time ive ever been bitten by a t.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too "hand" feed with hemostats. I have done this with All of our Avicularia, Brachypelmas, and Grammostolas.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i fed my rosie by hand by accident i was putting the crick next to her and she tore it out of my tweasers before i dropped it