Good First Burrowing Species?

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm really interested in getting a pet hole i dont mind them at all hiding and never seeing them, anyways is there any easy to care for burrowing tarantulas out there that are semi beginner species and don't require alot of humidity ( super hard to control up here) anyways let me know , thanks for your time guys. :eek:

Also could anyone provide me with a couple brand names or where u guys get substrates , we have a pet store here and it SUCKS!

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first burrowing species was a haplopelma hainanum, butt honestly, I'd say you could do any of them. As far as I can remember, most of the obligate burrowers are OW, so you'll be dealing with a pissed off, venomous spider in any case.

Haplopelma lividum is a GORGEOUS tarantula that's frequently reasonably cheap, even for females. Hysterocrates gigas rules pretty hard, and citharischius crawshayi are also beautiful, but they grow incredibly slowly.

I guess you could go for an aphonopelma seemani, but really, go for the h. lividum.

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's a couple of online supply stores (I tried to find places that were closer to you) ...

The Bean Farm (USA) (Coir Fibre bedding)
http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=7641049.14056&product=Bedding_and_Cage&xm=on
Call for quote on shipping
http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cartlink=Shipping.htm&cart_id=7641049.14056

Pets and Ponds (Canada) (Zoo Med Eco Earth, T-Rex Forest Bed)
http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c194892.2.html
Shipping to Alaska starts at $15.99 http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/Info.2.html

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would agree...I just picked up a crawshayi and like it more than my lividum because it's more active. I would have grabbed a gigas actually but they seem hard to find in Canada.

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. Gigas. or C. Crawshayi.

Both have made VERY visible tunneling and elaborate designs in their excavating.

Both of mine also are great eaters.

Don't expect to see anything but the burrows though!!!

I dont think my C. Crawshayi ever emerges.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you dont mind NEVER seeing it again then go with a hysterocrates gigas.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a good first burrowing t would either be a haplopelma or a aphonopelma.

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the only reason i dont recommend a haplopelma is because my h. lividum covers the parts of her burrow that are visible through the glasswith web, making it completely covered from letting any light (or vision) in.

the h. gigas and crawshayi, at least for me, are not as light sensitive and have their burrows looking like an "ant farm" from the outside.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude go for the skeleton leg. mine built an awesome burrow and i see it out a couple times a week. and its NW so its not as aggro

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys!! lots of species to read about , yah i dont care if i EVER see them , just knowing they are there n stuff is satisfying for me hehe

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a H Longipes, mad as a brush but still a nice T. Being a pet hole is also good for their required humidity. Seemingly by burrowing down to a suitable level that helps them maintain a constant level of humidity regardless of the humidity level above ground. I only ever see my girl in the dead of night when she comes up for her food offering.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
humidity

You mentioned that you want something that doesn't need humidity. Well, the obligate burrowers pretty much all demand more moisture in their substrate than terrestrials. That being said, it's not hard to provide for regardless of where you live. Just add the appropriate amount of water to keep the sub slightly moist for most of them (overflowing the water dish works reasonably well), more moisture for some like H. gigas. I also agree that most of them have reasonably feisty temperaments, but would *usually* rather flee than fight. Of my burrowers, my faves are Ephebopus (murinus and cyanognathus), and Haplopelma longipes. I see them frequently, more often at night, and they're way cool looking. My H. gigas I assume is alive, because roaches go missing, but have no substantiated proof there is a tarantula in there.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you dont mind NEVER seeing it again then go with a hysterocrates gigas.
My slings run out of their tunnels to the top of their respective pill vials every time I take the lid off. I think it's a combination of defensive behavior and them hoping for dinner.

--the nature boy

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love Haps, and for a first burrower I must agree lividum is the way to go. I don't think it is the absolute best Hap but it definitely should be the first every time. Haplopelma schmidti save for your second lol.
Rev

K2zverynas

Arachnopeon
About the Hysterocrates gigas...I would like to say that they have different behaviours...As much as I readed here,everybody say that "you wont see him,just holes,tunnels etc." I disagree because mine,yes it build great tunnels,makes fortresses of dumped out soil,but there is no way I will see it in burrow.She is always out.It doesnt matter it is night,day,party at my house or nuclear war outside...Shes just one brave b**ch ;P ;)

And sorry for my "perfect" english :)

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
5 Easy Steps for a Thrifty Pet Hole :

1) Buy a small Kritter Keeper.

2) Buy coconut fiber.

3) Put the coconut fiber in the Kritter Keeper.

4) Place H. Gigas juvie in Kritter Keeper. Be prepared for action.

5) Pet hole!