Help on a rose hair egg sac

Warduke

Arachnopeon
Im fairly new to tarantulas and I bought an adult female Rose Hair back in February and I just went to feed her and she was sitting on top of what I think is an egg sac what do I do?

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leave it in there for now. If its a dud she'll probably eat it or abandon it. If its not its best to leave it in her care for a while (few weeks) anyways.

Either way, gives you time to read up on eggsacs, talk to people who have raised them, etc and figure out what you need to do.

If she was from a petstore (especially a chain petstore like Petco), she was likely wild caught, and therefore there is a possibility of it being a viable sac. You might want to look into getting bunch of deli cups or other small containers if this is the case, so that you have something to put the babies in when the time comes. If she just made it, even if it is a viable sac, you have some time, so its not a huge rush. But starting early keeps you from having to scramble later.

But definitely leave it in for now unless you got her from someone who can tell you 100% sure that she was captive bred and has never been around a male.

Hopefully the various experienced T breeders will be able to hop in here with some more advice for you. Good luck! :D

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should probly contact him and ask him if it was WC or CB and if he has mated her.

But in any case, you should still do some research on egg sacks JIC when the time comes, you know what to do.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would bet it is a WC. A full size g. rosea takes so long to grow you can't sell at $24 and make a profit. :) I notice that nwinverts also has slings which are clearly labeled as captive born (note: doesn't say captive bred) so it's almost certain WC.

If/when WC rosea are no longer available the things will probably cost $100 or more as slow as they grow.

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rosie layed a nice molt matt, and then she/he tried to roll it up but the moss would let it go, so i found it cleaning itself instead, do the females lay the eggs even if not bred??? just so im prepared knowing it's a dude.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...just so im prepared knowing it's a dude.
You mean dud; not fertile. Meaning it was not bred and lays eggs anyway. WC or CB there is still a chance that it can be fertile. Just wait a month and take it out if it's still there.

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dud yeah that's it, if it's a he and lays, im outta here, thnks for the catch, ove had this one since Dec and molted once in my care. Has anyone ever heard them sharpening their fangs on wood?? My rosie does.