aggresive rat

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so my rat has bitten me twice now. Hard enough to cause it to bleed for several minutes, I figured this was because I scared her. But i moved her into a new cage and now she tries to bite at me and the dog through the wires of he cage. And as I was holding her just now, she was walking around as i was lying down and watching I Robot. Apparently my hand was in the way and she let me know it. She gave me a firm bite on the finger wich told me to move my hand and she walked right on by. It wasnt hard enough to break skin but it was hard enough that I cant still feel it. Why is my rat so aggresive? I thought that these were supposed to be gentle and friendly creatures?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I thought that these were supposed to be gentle and friendly creatures?
I don't know who told you that, but all animals have their own personalities. I would no more say that "all rats are gentle and friendly" than I would say all dogs or cats are gentle and friendly. It's just not true.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it depends on how often you hold her
and even then like shroom said
they can be aggressive like any other animal

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How old is she? How long have you had her?

If you get them when they're small and hold them often, they grow up to be amazing little animals.

I had one rat who, while not the sweetest thing, wasn't aggressive until I bred her. She killed her litter once they were born (quite uncommon for rats to do) and has been my little she-devil ever since. I can't get NEAR her without her charging the cage and trying to get me.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
canabolism

i had two rats once.......got home from work and had one rat left and the stench of death in the air. One ATE the head off of the other one, now i dont have any. i got rid of her once this happend...i have a toddler and dont need a bitter....like everyone says, they are all different just like US. i have had some that are just the sweetest things..........good luck

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
and if it does keep biting you nothing else to do but give it a spanking
jk

nothing else to really do i have a gerbil like that no matter how much time i spend with him he always bites
i dont know what else to tell you:(

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I had one rat who, while not the sweetest thing, wasn't aggressive until I bred her. She killed her litter once they were born (quite uncommon for rats to do) and has been my little she-devil ever since. I can't get NEAR her without her charging the cage and trying to get me.
I tell ya.. Having kids drives you insane!!! This only goes to prove that point!!

J.everson
Would she do good with another rat? Get one that IS nice to keep her company and just hold the nice one! That way, she gets company and you get to hold a rat. :D

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had her since early september. She was a pet store rat given to me by a friend. I read on multiple caresheets that these were friendly, it didnt say anything about them only being friendly if raised from a baby. Guesse I didnt read the fine print, lol. I have no clue how old she is.

I would love to get another rat to keep her company but thats impossible. I barely got the first rat, lol.

So nipping is normal then huh? I was starting to think that she had some personal vendetta against me, lol.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Generally, even a pet store feeder can be tamed. Right now I have an adult feeder that took a couple of tries to be able to let me hold him without a problem. I can't let him get to my fingertips or he'll test bite but he's ok with holding and cuddling. Of course, a rat bred for temperament by a good breeder is more likely to have been socialized and less likely to be naturally aggressive. The truly grumpy ones are the exception, not the rule. We've never allowed anyone to put their fingers near a rat cage. Too often they mistake it for food being offered (bad eyesight) and grab quickly with their teeth without realizing what they've done. If they've ever had to compete for food the bite can be a little deep. Keep handling her but also keep your fingers where she can't get them. Has she tried biting your hand or is it always your fingertips? A truly nasty one will go for what they can reach even when riding on your shoulder. Most of the accidental bites are usually fingertips-not sure why. I hope you keep working with her.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
even so called tame rats will bight sometimes

and wash your hands before hand
if you smell like a dog or cat or another possible predator then they will bite in defense
one of my females got me the other day after playing with my ball python

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How old is she? How long have you had her?

If you get them when they're small and hold them often, they grow up to be amazing little animals.

Id toss her in with my Redtail Boa and watch nature take its course.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From my own experience keeping rats, showing pedigreed rats, and hanging out and talking to multiple rat breeders, I figured I'd share the following:

Rats from a reputable breeder generally have better personalities than ones from stores (at least in the US - I know from breeders that do exchanges with breeders from the UK to expand the gene pool that the UK breeders breed for different qualities.)

In the US, rats are primarily bred for personality. There is some heredity involved, so very friendly parents often end up with very sweet babies. It might also be a factor of really good parents allowing babies to be handled at an early age (many breeders start handling while the mama rat is giving birth!). Rats from a good breeder are exceptionally well socialized and tend to be VERY sweet. They also tend to get along very well with other rats, etc. They are also bred with aims for improving health, longevity, looks, overall quality, etc.

In the UK, rats are bred first for conformation, secondly for personality (this is the statement from the UK breeders who have done an exchange with the breeders I know.) Their rats are often great pets as well, but the adult males cannot be kept in groups (unless raised together from the same litter) or they will fight. Its just a matter of breeding for different goals - they still make great pets, but will fight with other males. The females do fine together normally. They too aim to improve the health, longevity, and quality of the rat.

Then there is the pet store industry. The only thing they are breeding for is quantity. Period. They do not care about good temperment, good health, longevity, early socialization, etc. They just want to get as many out there and sold as possible, for feeders or pets. Quality does not matter to them. Therefore, many pet store rats unfortunately aren't the most spectacular examples of their kind.

This is not to say that you can't have wonderful rats, beautiful rats, and long lived rats pop up from a store - the sheer quantity means they will get more variety and therefore such things do occur. But most often they are far less socialized, far shorter lived, and far more prone to illness. I've had some wonderful and very well loved ratties I got from the feeder bin at a pet store in the past. They were sweet and playful and I loved them dearly. But I've found that the rats I've gotten from a good breeder have been many times sweeter, healthier, and lived much longer overall.

As for the OP and what to do: Without being able to know 100% that there isn't some hard wired thing going on in your rat's head making her do this, I can't say for sure that it can be fixed. But often trying to get extra socialization in can help.
~If she normally starts nipping after you've had her out for a while, say 5 minutes, then keep it shorter and more often than that. ~Try taking her out just for brief periods of time, then putting her back and rewarding her immediately when she is good.
~Food rewards are often well received, but NEVER give them through bars of the cage. EVER. That goes for ANYTHING. If they become accustomed to taking things through bars, they may start to nip at anything, fingers included, that come through the bars, as they will anticipate it being food. They aren't even trying to be aggressive, but it won't stop you from getting bitten.
~Use something other than your hand to give small food rewards. My ratties love yogies, little yogurt drop things, and they come in these little plastic tubs. I take the top off the tub and hold it up to their open doors (again, never the bars) and let them reach in and grab a treat out. This way they don't even associate grabbing at my hands to get to food. If its a big item I'll give it from my fingers, as they are kept far enough away for the ratties to distinguish. Mine have never even considered biting, but I don't want them to ever start out of confusion or anticipation.
~As with any animal, don't reward undesirable behavior. If something nips or bites at you to get something, don't give it. That means if they bite when you try to open the cage, and then they run out, you immediately put them back in and close the door and walk away. You aren't punishing them persay, but trying to get the idea across that biting will not get them their desired result - only by NOT biting do they get to come out, or get a treat, etc. Rats are very trainable, but you need to be consistant.
~Get gloves if you need to. Ideally you will want to handle them without gloves eventually, and you don't want her to get in the habit of being able to bite because it doesn't hurt with the gloves, but it will keep you from being injured, and potentially injuring the rat on a reflex if you get bitten by surprise. It also allows you to be able to confidently pick her up and put her back if she is misbehaving if you have the gloves nearby. Just make sure when you are grabbing her with them that you don't squeeze too hard - its hard to feel how firmly you are holding something through thick gloves.
~If she only bites fingers, and nothing you do seems to change this, gloves at least should allow you to handle her without injury.

We had a pet store rat when I was little who was sweet until she hit about 1 year old, then she would just attack fingers ANYTIME without cause. Only fingers, knuckles, hands, arms, ears, etc were fine. We learned to simply lower a clenched fist into her cage and she'd run up and sit on our shoulder happy as could be. She just randomly developed a hatred of fingers....petstore rats are sometimes a bit inbred and that can lead to some mental issues for them unfortunately. But we were willing to adapt to her oddities and she did fine for the rest of her life after that.

Anyways, hope all that random babling is enlightening or at least semi helpful! Good luck! Rats really can make super sweet pets!

sinder

Arachnosquire
i have had Rats,desert rats and alot of different kind since i was kid to adult, but dont have it anymore. and ive been biten before. its usually if your hand smell like Food. then they will bite you. try to wash your hands with soap wich dont smell like food and then try again. if that doesnt help, get some thick gloves hard leatherskin if u can get your hands on that so will it be harder for her to bite trough. and keep picking the rat up and learn it. But all rats have different personalities. but its always possible to tame it to stop biting you. You can Train rats to be like dogs, say its name and it will come to you. when i had Rats i had their Cage open all the time so they could walk freely in my house, but they had access to their cage too. so they usually sleept beside me in my bed in the nights. Just keep working with it and pick it up, hold it. and if she doesnt bite give her candy of something you know the rat love, all rats have some special food they love. Mine loved Bird food as candy. and Saying NO to them with a dark voice can help, they do understand when your mad just like dogs and Cats. Rats are Very intelligent animals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like you need a snake for a pet. All animals have variable personalities, JUST like the animal Homo sapien.