To people who feed their roaches dog food

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What specific name brand dog food do you use? I've been researching and looking up on most dog food brands and they all end up with a sort of insecticdes such as garlic oil or rosemary. etc, I've also researched plenty on AB and have no clear anwser as to what brand to use. Ive seen to use Cheap brands, and if so give me a few examples. Also if there are other cheap alternatives to dog food, feel free to share your ideas and experiances with feeding. I'm feeding dubia btw. Thanks.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feed them a brand called "Organix". It may not the best, I just grab it at a health food store. I checked the ingredients and it doesn't have any of that stuff you mentioned.

jerseygirl

Arachnopeon
What specific name brand dog food do you use? I've been researching and looking up on most dog food brands and they all end up with a sort of insecticdes such as garlic oil or rosemary. etc, I've also researched plenty on AB and have no clear anwser as to what brand to use. Ive seen to use Cheap brands, and if so give me a few examples. Also if there are other cheap alternatives to dog food, feel free to share your ideas and experiances with feeding. I'm feeding dubia btw. Thanks.
Have you tried dried fish food flakes? Saw this on-line somewhere and my hissers LOVE it, along with fresh carrots, etc.

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fish flakes are a bit expensive so id rather go with dog food, or another cheaper alternative. Im asking this question because i fed my roaches some dog food i thought was ok, and then the next week they all were found dead. Im getting some new ones sent in.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I go with a brand that has the least amount of protein in it, as it is said that roaches can get a fatal stomach blockage if the diet is too high on protein. They are not good at digesting protein in any large amounts. I don't know anything exact about that and the threads discussing this are probably quite dusty by now...

MysticDragon

Arachnopeon
Why don't you use cat food? I am keeping hissers about 1,5year, and i had no problems with cat food :)

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed half of my roaches nutro, iams, eukanuba, (I typically get great deals on leftover or damaged bags ex. 45 lb bag of eukanuba for $5). These are fed to my geckos and other vertebrates that like higher calcium and lots of extra vitamins and minerals. The other half gets whatever I have on hand. I try to use lesser quality foods with lower calcium content and these are fed to T's and other inverts. Both colonies get fruit and veggie scraps, leftover bread, carrots, potatos, etc.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed mine ol roy, cheapo dog food from wal-mart. I used to feed it to my dog until I found out how bad those grocery store foods are for dogs, now it's just for the roaches and the dog gets Innova.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to feed my roaches fish food, but that got wayyyy too expensive. They grew like crazy, but so did my credit card bill. I've since switched to Solid Gold Wolf King dog food. You can get it at Petco for $45 for 33lbs. I also feed my roaches fresh fruits and veggies.

I found out my roach's favorite food on accident one day. We were eating green beens for dinner and the roach bin happens to be right next to the dinner table (I know, I'm weird). The roaches all came out as soon as we set the green beans on the table. I threw a handful in and they all went crazy and devoured them in a matter of minutes!!

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
best thing to feed them is chicken feed 50 pound bag for 10 bucks.... they love it. I stopped feeding them dog food it attracted flies like no other.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
\I stopped feeding them dog food it attracted flies like no other.
what kind of flies are you talking about? because i my field crickets colony have a few flies in there, but they are tiny. are you refering to the regular house fly for the tiny ones? i am looking for a way to get rid of them. i feed them dog food too, so maybe i'll try chicken feed and hopefully get rid of those flies.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Im asking this question because i fed my roaches some dog food i thought was ok, and then the next week they all were found dead. Im getting some new ones sent in.
I'm pretty certain you had a "curse of the Grecian urn" problem (attributing an outcome with an associated but unrelated event). I've used just about every brand of dog and cat food over the years and never lost any roaches to a food. Just in case, Beneful for puppies is not harmful to any of the present hobby species.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
best thing to feed them is chicken feed 50 pound bag for 10 bucks.... they love it. I stopped feeding them dog food it attracted flies like no other.
Strangely, my G. portentosa will eat chicken meal, but far more slowly than the rabbit and dog pellets I also supply...;)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We use the cheapest available dog/cat food we can find; from the local Farm Supply store. It usually runs about $6 for 20lbs.
We provide constant fresh water and an endless variety of outdated produce from the local market (greatly discounted!).
Fish flakes are given about once a month as a supplement/treat.
(they like it so much; that we refer to it as "roach crack") {D

We've also learned that we can greatly control volunteer flies; by deliberately introducing 'cobweb' spiders to the tanks. They have colonized the upper parts of all the tanks; are completely harmless to humans; don't bother the roaches and have all but eliminated all unwanted flying crapbags... :clap:

Hope this helps!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We feed trout chow, you can get it for really cheap at any feed stores that carry it, it is 35 cents a pound at the feed store we go to, its in small pellets so you need to crush it or run it through a food processor. If you want to spend a little more you can get food for fry, which is already powdered.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG Mina... You're BRILLIANT! :clap:
Outstanding information ~~ we'll be looking for this immediately. Thanks for the beneficial slap upside the head. I don't know why we didn't think of this, ourselves.

:worship:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you guy check out the ingredients their is some pretty crazy preservatives in most of them. Sure this is ok?

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of flies are you talking about? because i my field crickets colony have a few flies in there, but they are tiny. are you refering to the regular house fly for the tiny ones? i am looking for a way to get rid of them. i feed them dog food too, so maybe i'll try chicken feed and hopefully get rid of those flies.
yes the tiny flies i dont know why the dog food attracts them... the chicken feed seems to have helped A LOT