Care Sheet For B. fumigata?

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to start a B. fumigata (Cuban Burrowing Roach) colony. Can these be kept like B. dubia or do they need substrate to burrow?

Thanks

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They do best with about 2" or so of substrate to burrow in. I use some Eco-Earth (coconout product) with a few handfulls of coconut bark chips and oak leaves thrown in. And a handful or two of sphagnum moss. Water about half of the substrate to have a moist end and a dry end, feed them on the dry end veggies/fishfood/fruit and they will multiply like crazy.

They also seem to do best between 78-84 degrees temp., but will do ok slightly cooler if need be.

*Note: I have also heard of someone who kept them with an inch or two of vermiculite for substrate and they did fine for them (stayed very clean looking to.)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My methods have worked very well for years, so I am inclinded to disagree with that link on several points in terms of care. Additionally, it neglects some morphilogical points such as wing variability in both sexes, etc.
But there is more than one way to skin a cat. All of the containers in this pic house different species of roaches:

Pro_bug_catcher

Arachnopeon
Does the room have a window?
How do you make your ventilation holes? (They look drilled then with screen glued... what glue? from the outside or inside?)
By the way :worship: ... I'd really like to have an insect room like that!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does the room have a window?
How do you make your ventilation holes? (They look drilled then with screen glued... what glue? from the outside or inside?)
Thanks. I have too many... :( Since that photo was taken I have made some changes by trying to line the room with white formica and make sure everything is sealed, easy to wipe clean, etc.

It did not occur to me but in the pic you cannot see that I have 6 holes in the lids to the tubs, too. With another tub stacked on top the hole is mostly but not completely covered. The holes are made using a drill that has a hole-saw attachment. I drill the hole and then use hot-glue to glue on some aluminum screen cut in a square that will cover it. I glue the outer edges of the screen and along where the edge of the hole is onto the outside of the screen.

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok guys, what's the concensus? Substrate or no substrate? Another website said that they would adapt to no substrate if kept like B. dubias (eggcrate condos with zero substrate). To me, it doesn't matter. I just want the roaches to be happy and thrive.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok guys, what's the concensus? Substrate or no substrate? Another website said that they would adapt to no substrate if kept like B. dubias (eggcrate condos with zero substrate). To me, it doesn't matter. I just want the roaches to be happy and thrive.

Well, since they are Cuban "Burrowing" roaches..... ;)

I have had the same substrate in there for over 2 years, and from the appearance of it I have no reason to think it needs to be changed. They do burrow around alot, so I would recommend substrate. The real benefit being that it would be easier to maintain a humidity level.

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Substrate it is then. I have a brick of Eco-Earth I've been saving for a special occassion. I also found an Oak tree at a local park today. I'm planning to sneek back later and nab some leaves.

BestRoach

Arachnopeon
Umm, I would be worried about mites if using anything from outside. In fact, that eco-earth stuff has been known to cause some mite issues.

Thats my main concern with substrate....I am terrified of mites. I have recently gone full steam ahead with Fumigata, and may experiment with substrate to improve breeding if needed. That said, I am a little concerned with my substrate options, and don't want to risk my entire breeding operation to help out a species I don't sell a good deal of.

BTW, nice setup Matt K!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks!

Eco-Earth definately does not and cannot produce mites. Only if the product is kept too wet will mites take it as a habitat if there is food for them available, and most of the time it has turned out to be the harmless cellulose mite that people see and not one that is problematic for roaches. The very best possible options for substrate for these guys is any coconut product or cypress mulch. Both of these are the substrate materials I use in dozens of roach species without any problems. Thankfully, it has been a great while since I have had any mite issues, but I have experienced them in the past with several species of mites- mostly when I tried to mix in potting soil or other things that seemed like a good idea that I read about in forums... I hate mites more than anyone!

Mites are almost always caused from husbandry issues and not from any other source. However, if you introduce decaying wood or other matter from outdoors, you will invariably be introducing some sort of mite (harmless and/or harmful to a roach colony). When gathering leaves from the outdoors, particularly oak leaves in North America, make sure they are dead leaves with no green on them. Then make sure they are very dry, either when they are gathered or placed in a container in your home or garage when it is protected and dry and allow them to sit for 2-3 weeks.

Now if you are REALLY paranoid about them (as I have been), you can add a culture of the predatory mite Hypoaspis miles, which will eat just about any mite available.

The trick to keeping no mites in a roach colony is to not keep them too damp, and not too overfeed them too often (particularly grain products like dog food or fish food). What most people dont realize is that mites are almost everywhere all the time, and bad husbandry of any animal can lead to an outbreak of some mite species. If you get mites, all you have to do is ask yourself "What is wrong with my picture" or "what should I do different". When you have made the right change then mites will be gone for good and roaches will be healthy and robust.

**Helpful information sources:

Mites of Greenhouses: Identification, Biology and Control by Zhi-Qiang Zhang

Urban Entomology: Insect and Mite Pests in the Human Environment by WILLIAM H ROBIN

Mites: Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour by Heather Coreen Proctor

Last edited:

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate

Another option is to use vermiculite. It is clean and easy and my fumigata do fine in it. If you use outside material it is always best to heat it for several hours in a oven to kill off unwanted pests. Then again I just toss in some leaves with certain species and some isopods and never seem to have any problems. I may sell alot of roaches but MAtt is the new ROACHMAN!!!! Ever since Richie left he has the best collection I know of.
James