New Tarantula Documentary

Rick_C_West

Arachnopeon
For any of you who might be interested, there is a new tarantula documentary coming out on television this month. I worked in this film a few months ago in Venezuela. You can find details at;

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=366888&action=detail

Times may vary in your area, so, check your local listings. The dates are accurate. I have not been shown a rough cut to check for scientific accuracy or silliness, so, I cannot say if this episode will be any good or not ... but I'm hoping for the best.

Rick West
www.birdspiders.com

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ah nice one Rick.I believe Danny(Urban jungle) has something to do with this episode aswell.Look forward to seeing it!
-Chris

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SWEET! i cant wait! wonder if the three foot arachnid is going to be a giant camel spider?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wonder if the 3 foot spider was the pic 2 camel spiders hooked together

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder if the 3 foot spider was the pic 2 camel spiders hooked together
that was a lame pic, if that is what it is i will be dissapointed cause 2 spiders hooked doesnt = 1 3 foot arachnid. but for real i have a friend who just got back from Iraq, he was sent home cause he lost a chunk of his leg to a camel spider. It looks nasty! i hear they have "venom" that is a local anesthetic so you dont know you are getting eaten alive!!! He said he didnt know until he looked down, and didnt feel it for a few days until it got infected

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that was a lame pic, if that is what it is i will be dissapointed cause 2 spiders hooked doesnt = 1 3 foot arachnid. but for real i have a friend who just got back from Iraq, he was sent home cause he lost a chunk of his leg to a camel spider. It looks nasty! i hear they have "venom" that is a local anesthetic so you dont know you are getting eaten alive!!! He said he didnt know until he looked down, and didnt feel it for a few days until it got infected
"Camel spiders" aren't even spiders at all; do an AB search for "Solfugids" here and you'll get a lot more facts. They have no venom, and don't get to be three feet long, either. I do hope THAT particular urban legend is dealt with on the "MonsterQuest" show.

I have to admit, I have a sort of "train wreck" mentality when it comes to that show, which is supposedly devoted to exploring Cryptozoology. This last season, they seem to have concentrated on large/unusual/strange-acting specimens of perfectly ordinary animals, usually animals that a lot of people are scared of or creeped-out by, like snakes or rats, rather than "real" Cryptozoological mysteries, like Bigfoot or other "monsters". I've got mixed feelings about that, since they seem to concentrate on sensationalism, which only goes to reinforce the fear/hate so many people feel about those animals. Hopefully, Dr. West will bring some intellect and common sense to the show, and his lines won't get cut to nothing in favor of some Hollywood movie maker or superstitious native going on about how "deadly" tarantulas are.

pitbulllady

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, I was saying that they might be eluding to that pic because you know how people are lol. Also I had a colonel talk to me at length, and he said what you said, not about potential venom but the fact they (soldiers) were being munched on while bivouacked and getting secondary infections, wicked stuff.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Camel spiders" aren't even spiders at all; do an AB search for "Solfugids" here and you'll get a lot more facts. They have no venom, and don't get to be three feet long, either. I do hope THAT particular urban legend is dealt with on the "MonsterQuest" show.

pitbulllady
thanks for the tip:D but it still doesnt make them any less evil. i actually have a buddy that i got into Ts who wants to own one as a pet. i told him i would have no part of it.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Kinda sad

Of course, I will be tuned in like everybody else. However, I can't help but reflect with sadness on the demise of the real, honest-to-goodness nature documentary. The "mockumentaries" on TV today represent entertainment, not education. When I was a kid, producers like Jacques Cousteau and The National Geographic Society didn't need contrivances like "The 10 Deadliest..." to attract an audience.

That being said, I feel certain that Rick and Danny have done their utmost to bring credibility to the project, and, as Rick has already pointed out, the final product is out of their hands.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course, I will be tuned in like everybody else. However, I can't help but reflect with sadness on the demise of the real, honest-to-goodness nature documentary. The "mockumentaries" on TV today represent entertainment, not education. When I was a kid, producers like Jacques Cousteau and The National Geographic Society didn't need contrivances like "The 10 Deadliest..." to attract an audience.
watch PBS, nature and wild chronicles ROCK, they are real documentary series, and you even get real independent documentaries. It's the cable networks that suck, public TV is awesome.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I'll be watching! I'm sure there will be some awesome facts and footage to be had if it does'nt wind up on the cutting room floor.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
watch PBS, nature and wild chronicles ROCK, they are real documentary series, and you even get real independent documentaries. It's the cable networks that suck, public TV is awesome.
I'll do that. I've never seen Wild Chronicles. I was thinking of Discovery and Animal Planet in my previous post.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll do that. I've never seen Wild Chronicles. I was thinking of Discovery and Animal Planet in my previous post.
Idk when it is on in your neck of the woods but here on MPTV-PBS we have it wednesdays at 8 and repeat on sat and sun like 3 times. It is cool, i subscribe to the podcast, there is a cool podcast with Rick West in it and T. blondi, he finds a big female in the wild and lets her run all over him. its a biggun

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For any of you who might be interested, there is a new tarantula documentary coming out on television this month. I worked in this film a few months ago in Venezuela. You can find details at;

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=366888&action=detail

Times may vary in your area, so, check your local listings. The dates are accurate. I have not been shown a rough cut to check for scientific accuracy or silliness, so, I cannot say if this episode will be any good or not ... but I'm hoping for the best.

Rick West
www.birdspiders.com
Silliness will be the key there LOL.
It seems that all of those shows have more silliness than facts LOL

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been debating about whether I wanted to publicize this on here or not...lol

I did indeed "refute" alot of the stuff that's being talked about in this episode (including all "Camel Killer" fare) and I tried my best to lend as much credibility to this project as possible but due to the campy nature of the program I can't guarantee the legitimacy of the episode.. Like Dr. West I haven't seen the final cuts...

Please...be gentle!
:wall: