Nhandu coloratovillosus vs. nhandu chromatus vs. Acanthoscurria geniculata

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know which one to buy between the three of them.

Nhandu coloratovillosus
Nhandu chromatus
Acanthoscurria geniculata

Can someone please tell me the pros and cons?

Forgot to add: Please, not "buy all three". I can only buy 1.

Last edited:

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you really have to choose, it's definitely geniculata. It's the biggest of them and generally spends more time out in the open than any of them.

I don't agree with the "get all of them" advice. At one time I had a lot of tarantulas and then I realized I didn't really like some of them that much. Now I only have 13 or so. I had them just for the collection value and that's not how I see animals.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought an N. coloratovillosus thinking it was an A. genic. I still have it. I would try A. genic considering they don't hide as much.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whoops, a little late on this one, or you were in big rush.

The N. chromatus in my opinion has the most striking pattern and colours of three choices.

I was making a similar choice about 3 or 4 years ago. lol

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know which one to buy between the three of them.

Nhandu coloratovillosus
Nhandu chromatus
Acanthoscurria geniculata

Can someone please tell me the pros and cons?

Forgot to add: Please, not "buy all three". I can only buy 1.

I own a 5.5 inch female Nhandu Coloratovillosus and a 6 inch female Acanthoscurria geniculata. I will have a 5 inch female Nhandu Chromatus tomorrow. I handle both of mine. They were about the same price $107 with tax. They both eat ALOT! Neither has gotten defensive with me. The Acanthoscurria Geniculata "hairs' does not make me itch has bad as the Nhandu Coloratovillosus. It's very sad you can't get all three. If I, Lennie Collins, had to pick between the two I have now...Acanthoscurria Geniculata!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A big female N. chromatus may not take to kindly to handling, my big girl won't tolerate any intrusion of her space.

Never flicked a hair ever, but is always ready to tackle my tweezers.

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha i also had to choose between chromatus and geniculata... i chose geniculata. Chromatus have been known to burrow and are more aggressive than geniculata. Plus its always a good time when your t has the appetite of a tapeworm. You will definately not be disappointed with a geniculata.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have N. coloratovillosus, and she does hide, but not all the time, and not every specimen does burrow. They probably have a bigger attitude than the Genic, even though it is a smaller tarantula ( 7+ inches ) than the genic (8+ inches ). Still, the N. coloratovillosus is DEFINITELY rarer than the genic, and a real "bragging rights" tarantula if you have a grown female. From my experience, they are a voracious, personality-rich species, gorgeous and distinctive...not to mention scarce.

But, the genic is larger and brighter, and doesn't hide as much. So it depends on your priorities. Both will flick hair ( though my Nhandu gives a ready threat position, and repeated fang-strikes ), both are skittish/ defensive. Care is the same, essentially. I might get a genic eventually, but I am VERY glad I got the coloratovillosus, it's a real treasure!

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I LOVE my chromatus.... though she hates me with a burning passion. She's out and about a fair amount, is a great eater, and looks awesome. No, she's not as big as a genic, but try telling her that. She thinks she's a crawshayi.

I vote N. chromatus.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My geniculata is probably the most defensive thing in my collection. 3" of raging black and white fury. Seriously. Here's she is in a threat posture:

Anyway, what I actually came here to say is that you really can't go wrong with any of them. I have all three and they are all pretty cool. The prettiest is the N. chromatus, in my opinion. The most fiesty is the A. geniculata. The fastest is the N. coloratovillosus. I don't handle any of them, never have. None of them hide/burrow (at least not my three). All three eat like PIGS. I can't really pick a favorite. They are all beautiful spiders with a lot of interesting qualities.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I LOVE my chromatus.... though she hates me with a burning passion. She's out and about a fair amount, is a great eater, and looks awesome. No, she's not as big as a genic, but try telling her that. She thinks she's a crawshayi.

I vote N. chromatus.
I'll drink to that!:D
I love both my chromatus and geni and they both stay out in the open. Both are fierce feeders but I tip the scales slightly to the chromatus because of the added colors that the geniculata does'nt have.
Very close though! You can always flip a coin!
Here's a peek at mine!

0.0.1 A. geniculata_ Sifu

0.0.1 N. chromatus_ Scarlet

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd still say go for all three, or the genic if you simply MUST pick one. I wouldn't feel comfortable handling any of them, but then again, I don't really handle my tarantulas.

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my vote is A.genic I love this T. she is always out and about . and never turns down a meal. and I think she is beautiful.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Choices....

The genic is the biggest, has nice coloring, is out in the open all the time, eats like crazy and is very hardy. The chromatus will hide a lot, but not all the time. It's the smallest of the three but has the best coloring. Chromatus is also a good eater and easy to keep. The coloratovillosus is very fuzzy, is out in the open most of the time, eats well, mine never kick hairs, is hardy and nicely colored. I vote for coloratovillosus, but I would plan on getting the other two as well eventually. My genics are bad hair kickers but they have many other good qualities that go with their size to pass up. Chromatus are just too pretty to pass up. I think I'm changing my mind already. :wall: No...coloratovillosus for sure, but get the others later, you won't regret it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have all three and my favorite is the coloratovillosus. She has the most attitude by far, followed by the geniculata then the chromatus taking 3rd with his fairly indifferent character. Besides, coloratovillosus get very nearly as large as geniculatas and IMO are much cooler looking because they have more white on them and they're a bit woolier. Although they're certainly not rare they are the least common of the 3 so if that floats your boat. Also I'll point out that the coloratovillosus is out almost as much as the genic now that she's getting bigger (4"). The chromatus is still a scaredy little wuss though.

All 3 are great species though, you should be pretty pleased with any one of them. My genic and chromatu are both MM's now so i'll probably be refilling my supply of B&W jungle giants pretty soon myself.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know, my genic is so weird. She NEVER has kicked hairs, no matter what the disturbance. She just goes into full-on attack mode.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have all three and my favorite is the coloratovillosus. She has the most attitude by far, followed by the geniculata then the chromatus taking 3rd with his fairly indifferent character. Besides, coloratovillosus get very nearly as large as geniculatas and IMO are much cooler looking because they have more white on them and they're a bit woolier. Although they're certainly not rare they are the least common of the 3 so if that floats your boat. Also I'll point out that the coloratovillosus is out almost as much as the genic now that she's getting bigger (4"). The chromatus is still a scaredy little wuss though.

All 3 are great species though, you should be pretty pleased with any one of them. My genic and chromatu are both MM's now so i'll probably be refilling my supply of B&W jungle giants pretty soon myself.
I will be getting a Nhandu Chromatus today and the seller stated that she is handleable BUT I will find out for sure, SOON. The other two I have never gotten a threat posture from. I hear from the other post that they suppose to be too hot to handle. I guess they are afraid of me...the Big Bad Brown Boogeyman! I wish I could post pictures...matter of fact I am holding the Acanthoscurria Genticulata has I post! Make my funk the P-Funk I wants to get funked up!:D

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I have all three, although my N. chromatus is just a sling. I would get the genic. Mine is a 7" female and is out all the time and is a great eater. She does kick hairs, but has never been aggressive. I handle her frequently. The one thing I would give my coloratovillosus the edge on is activity. She is about 5.5" and when she is out, she is not just sitting there...she is crawling around and exploring. She is more skittish than my genic when it comes to handling.

Tjohns

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You know, my genic is so weird. She NEVER has kicked hairs, no matter what the disturbance. She just goes into full-on attack mode.

Yep mine too, she never flicks hair ever. She'd rather bite than flick. Go with the Geniculata. I get alot of personality out of my girl. Chromatus are more aggressive than Genics. One thing I really like about my Genic is how she is always out and about. She will grab 3 crickets at a time to shove in her mouth. She also attacks the water when I fill her dish. It's too funny. Go with the female Genic if you do get one they live longer than males and get larger than the other species.