Molting questions...again

CellebrO

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When the T is in a premolt,can it actually delay the molt due to temperature drop,stress or something else? And then can it molt faster due to something else?
I ask this because my b. boehmei is in a premolt and Im planning on moving him on Tuesday to my new place,which means 3-4 hours train riding. Im afraid it will start molting while still on the move,and eventually die. Hes still a baby,only 3 molts so far {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes they can hold off on molting based on environmental factors.
But if it wants to molt on the train, it is going to molt on the train. But I doubt very seriously it will die. I have had spiders molt inside of boxes when they were traveling with the postal service and they did just fine.
So just knock out you’re move and get you’re T settled down at his/her new home. You don’t have much to worry about imo.
One suggestion would be maybe to pack it up like you were going to ship it then take it out when you arrive.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm, well my understanding of premolt is that they generally start to refuse food, so that method will not work in "delaying" the molt, and a drop in temperature ussually means a drop in humidity and that could cause molt problems, like loosing a leg or getting trapped in the old exo. If it is absolutly necessary to move him i would keep him in the same container and try to keep it as stable as possible and not disturb him. Them again some Ts stay in premolt for a long time and in that case you should be good. Its a tough call in my book, but since he isnt actually molting yet you should be fine if you can keep his environment rather stable.

CellebrO

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick answer. I wouldnt bother about the humidity because boehmeis dont like it too humid anyways. Other T owners have told me that their boehmeis have molted in an almost completely dry environment.
When transported,do Ts have to have substrate in their boxes,or no substrate at all is better?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick answer.
When transported,do Ts have to have substrate in their boxes,or no substrate at all is better?
I would just pack it up inside a small deli container that is lined with paper towels to protect him, then stuff him in a back pack or something and he should be fine.

so that method will not work in "delaying" the molt, and a drop in temperature ussually means a drop in humidity and that could cause molt problems, like loosing a leg or getting trapped in the old exo.
You buy a little too much into humidity being a factor when a T is molting. I have Ts molting in 10% or less humidity all the time and never have problems. Internal hydration is far more important in my opinion.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You buy a little too much into humidity being a factor when a T is molting. I have Ts molting in 10% or less humidity all the time and never have problems. Internal hydration is far more important in my opinion.
thanks for the info{D , i hate being misinformed. i truly do appreciate it, and prefer to be corrected than give poor advice:worship:

CellebrO

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the very useful information,Ill write again when I move him and the other Ts.
Keep your fingers crossed he doesnt molt in the train :rolleyes:

CellebrO

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long does a b.boehmei sling stay in premolt? I thought mine was due to molt any day now...No such things...
Ive moved him into a bigger kk,I like my spiders to have space,but can he be stressed because of the space?And if he is will he molt? Oh and,every time I look at him he stays on the walls,not on the substrate...