winter and T

WildF4u

Arachnopeon
Hey guys
With winter coming for those of us in the northern U.S. states I was wondering how you all control for temperature in your Ts... I live with my Parents and keep all my T's In my room but it get cold in there and i cant crank up the heat in the whole house... Thanks for the responses

fyrburn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Super short answer:

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/exo-terra-rainforest-heatwave.html

heat mats.
This is a UK site but I'm sure a quick google search should help you find a US site. Or pet stores might have them too.

It's just a laminated black mat with the same flexability of thick card.
One end goes under your terrarium, and the other end goes into the plug socket in the wall.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the temperature, try not to cover the whole tank, instead keeping 2/3 of it over the heat mat so your T has some breathing space if it gets too hot.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have most of my T's in one bedroom in the front of my house. My pc and a few other elctronics are in there that add a little extra warmth. I'll probably just buy a small cereamic heater to bump up the temp for the T room. I just have too many enclosures for heat mats to be practical.

WildF4u

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the imput, i will get a an oil heater since it seems to be the best and least drying one..

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How cold are you talking? I keep my house at 67 degrees and the T's will be just fine. Yesterday I bred both coloratovillosus and chromatus at 67 degrees. Everything is still eating fine and a few things are in premolt. I'm heating a few tanks that contain bred females, everything else will kept at room temps.