P. Regalis or P. Murinus

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which is more toxic? I own both just got some P. Murinus in and I am about to rehouse them. They are 1/2 inchers I hope to breed these when they get big enough.

John

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
meh, they are both nice spiders and I don't think the venom is all that big of a deal. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overblown IMO

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with ptviperz i have the same t's i have been tagged by a p murinus it was a very slight stinging pain for me as for a p regalis i would try to avoid getting bit i had muscle cramps and and a fever for a week and a half and the bite area burned enjoy your t's they are bothe great and beautiful species
Alex,

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They both do different things to everyone. No one is the same. I have heard people having some serious P. Murinus bites and some serious P. Regalis bites and also heard that some have not so serious bites from them both..

Kris

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Like Brachy said, it really depends on the person. If you are allergic to spider venom, a bite from ANY tarantula could potentially harm you seriously. Possibly even kill you if you end up in anaphylactic shock.... So it really varies from person to person. Generally speaking though, there are venoms that are more potent then others. But you also have to consider the amount of venom injected into the prey/victim by the T itself. There are really too many variables to consider when trying to state the reaction one might have to certain venoms. The bite reports do offer a general idea of what to expect in common bites from different species of tarantulas, but sometimes you have to take in to account for the truthfulness or exaggeration in some of the stories as well.

So my suggestion.... don't get bit. And when it does happen, for your safety, expect the worst. Is that over the top? Of course, but you're never stupid or careless for over-preparing. Who know's, maybe a Pokie bite won't bother you, but on the same note, you might end up in a hospital if you're one of the few that have highly allergic reactions to t venom.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
check the bite reports and decide which you would rather (or not) get bitten by... ;)

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NEVER trust a Pokie or an OBT. Excercise caution & respect at ALL times !!

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are allergic to spider venom

It is impossible to be allergic to tarantula venom
. I don't have the time to track down the two million threads in which the scientific reasons for this are presented (I believe it has something to do with T venom lacking the proteins that would be necessary for an allergic reaction), but it certainly is the case.

--the nature boy

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a bite from ANY tarantula could potentially harm you seriously. Possibly even kill you if you end up in anaphylactic shock....

There has never been a single documented case of anyone dying from a tarantula bite. If you do not know what you are talking about please do not give advice.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nature boy is right the reactions depend on how much venom was administered for example if you got a dry bite you wouldn't get that much of a reaction
but if you got a butt load then you'd probably be throbbing for a while

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nature boy is right the reactions depend on how much venom was administered for example if you got a dry bite you wouldn't get that much of a reaction
but if you got a butt load then you'd probably be throbbing for a while
100% correct. However, contrary to what the ignorant newbie asserted earlier, no one has ever died from a T bite--regardless of the load dropped. This kind of false information can only hurt the hobby.

--the nature boy

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
deff ive never heard of a death from a t bite

well except that one time the guy was holding one on top of a train

he got bit and fell off:liar:

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
100% correct. However, contrary to what the ignorant newbie asserted earlier, no one has ever died from a T bite--regardless of the load dropped. This kind of false information can only hurt the hobby.

--the nature boy
Forgive me, I screwed up. But the other 80% of my thread was accurate. The news of there being no way to be allergic to T venom is news to me. I would appreciate some more facts on this being that I am a.... "newbie"....

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There has never been a single documented case of anyone dying from a tarantula bite. If you do not know what you are talking about please do not give advice.
And I was under the impression I knew what I was talking about. Forgive me for being mis-informed. But a simple correction will suffice bro.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And I was under the impression I knew what I was talking about. Forgive me for being mis-informed. But a simple correction will suffice bro.
Ok, I apologize. It seems to be a constant theme on the boards that people present information that isn't accurate when all it would take is a bit of research to learn what the truth is. This ticks me off because there are an awful lot of people new to the hobby on these boards who assume that people who post know what they're talking about. Information along the lines of tarantula bites having the ability to kill someone can only harm the hobby. There are already those who favor banning exotic pets, why give them ammo?

--the nature boy

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I understand and side with you completely. I should have done more research, and you're right, they don't need more ammo. Lesson learned here. :liar:

I'm pretty sure my mistake was made because I didn't think that one through and was thinking more along the lines of snake venom, not T venom. Too many animal hobbies to keep up with.

Thanks for the facts though, it is appreciated.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I understand and side with you completely. I should have done more research, and you're right, they don't need more ammo. Lesson learned here. :liar:

I'm pretty sure my mistake was made because I didn't think that one through and was thinking more along the lines of snake venom, not T venom. Too many animal hobbies to keep up with.

dont worry about it atleast you know now

its pretty hard to not think that all venom can have allergic reactions when we hear about it so much in bees and such

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The news of there being no way to be allergic to T venom is news to me. I would appreciate some more facts on this being that I am a.... "newbie"....
NO tarantula species has been documented with causing death in a human, NONE. Most New World tarantulas have very mild venom anyway, that has little effects on humans. The fangs themselves are large and DO hurt and leave some impressive holes, though. Old World tarantulas have stronger venom and are much more willing to bite, since they lack the protective urticating hairs of the New World tarantulas, so a bite from one of these species is much more unpleasant, but not life-threatening. Allergic reactions to tarantula bites are virtually impossible, due to the venom containing very complex proteins called "peptides", that do not trigger allergic reactions like simpler proteins.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer

What more do I have to say, dude? I apologize for jumping on you, I shouldn't have done it.

--the nature boy

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"NO tarantula species has been documented with causing death in a human, NONE. Most New World tarantulas have very mild venom anyway, that has little effects on humans. The fangs themselves are large and DO hurt and leave some impressive holes, though. Old World tarantulas have stronger venom and are much more willing to bite, since they lack the protective urticating hairs of the New World tarantulas, so a bite from one of these species is much more unpleasant, but not life-threatening. Allergic reactions to tarantula bites are virtually impossible, due to the venom containing very complex proteins called "peptides", that do not trigger allergic reactions like simpler proteins."

:worship: :clap: