Russian Tortoise!

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tonight im going to be ordering a Russian Tortoise.

Does anybody have experience with these? I have a 40 gallon tank set up for him, and im going to set up a small pen outside for basking in the summer. Im thinking he'll be a pretty cool pet, and hopefully he will outlive me:)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No experience..

But are those the smaller ones? The 6 or so inchers?

I really, really want a tortoise...But I'm waiting until I get more room -- I want one of the bigger ones.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If your going to get a larger species, you should get an aldabra. Itll be a good 1500-2000 bucks though...just for a baby. But if properly cared for it should live 100-150 years. you will need a whole yard. they dig huge burrows so you will need a perimeter blocked with a giant wood wall underground about 6 feet. They get about 4 feet long. You can read in Reptiles if you are subscribed:)

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great choice, scorpio. That is one species I've been wanting to keep, but I've always had to put it off for various reasons. My current reason is that I have no chemical-free area to let the tortoise graze during the warmer days of the year. My place is surrounded by concrete.

Ernie, no, they're not red. Not since the fall of Communism anyway. :)

Valael, yes, these are a smaller species that reaches 4-6" average. They are good choices for apartment dwellers or people who do not have the patience and/or space for larger species.

The aldabra is rather expensive, but an attractive species. Personally, I like the Leopard torts, as they don't get quite as large as sulcattas. Another good medium-size tortoise is a Redfoot or Yellowfoot tortoise. These require higher humidity than the other species mentioned, and generally stay smaller than leopards. A good similarily sized, but slightly more expensive species is the Greek tortoise.

Russian Tortoise

Bry

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gah. I didn't think they even had the huge tortoises you see at the zoo for sale, heh.

I meant one of the medium ones.

But now I'll have to wait even longer until I get even more space (And money) to afford an Aldabra :p

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, yup, the sulcattas and leopard torts are rather common in the herp trade. But of course, you can't get the Galapagos tortoise anywhere. :)

Bry

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jeez!!! This guy sounds like hes gonna be really cool. Im only investing 150 bucks into him with all his accessories. I already have a 40 gallon tank, bedding, hidebox, moss/alfalfa.

All I need is

The Clamp Light
40 dollar bulb (it costs more than my tortoise:mad: )
Giant Black Millipedes (im just getting them with my order...nothing to do with tortoises)

and the tortoise itself. Which should come Tuesday. Im gonna order him tonight.

The only problem I hear is that they are big salmonella carriers. But I'll just be strict with hand-washing.

Whenever I have a backyard large enough, im probably going to fill it with tortoises. Some person had a tortoise escape from their yard and then 60 years later they found it only 100 yards away.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by scorpio
The only problem I hear is that they are big salmonella carriers. But I'll just be strict with hand-washing.

Actually, all herps are pretty bad about salmonella. I confess I don't wash my hands every time I hold them. I'll probably start up after catching Salmonella for my first time, though..

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bry
But of course, you can't get the Galapagos tortoise anywhere. :)
Actualy, there used to be guy in Fountain Valley, CA who ran a tortise/turtle "ranch" on 2 lots in a residential area. He called it "Casa de Tortuga" He gave tours to the local elementary kids. He had a couple Galapagos tortises on loan to him from the Peruvian(?) government. That yard was the apex of the tour. Very cool.

the lesson here, if you want the really cool stuff, you got to get over 1 million dollars worth of land(.5 per lot) and a massive collection beforehand.

He closed down recently, its to bad, 'cus that place was cool.

biznacho

Last edited:

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Actually, all herps are pretty bad about salmonella. I confess I don't wash my hands every time I hold them. I'll probably start up after catching Salmonella for my first time, though..
Yeah, but turtles and torts supposedly carry it more commonly than other herps. I wash my hands always (typically because they will smell funny) and I hear as long as you are healthy, salmonella can be cured really easily. I hear all it is is diarhhea and vomiting and cramps, which I get excessively with the common flu each year.

Also....my tortoise purchase is official. :p I ordered them and hopefully they will arrive by either tuesday or wednesday. Expect some pics in a while. :p

Also, for those of you that have ordered from LLLReptile, how long does it take them to get your herps to you? An email said that I have to schedule a delivery time, which I think is kinda dumb...

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
!!!

YAY!

He came today with an appetite and a need for some rest. He ate a ton of sedum leaves and a little bit of hosta. Then he went to sleep. I can already tell he is going to be an awesome pet. The diet will be the hardest part though:(

Its quite strict

He can eat romaine lettuce but no iceberg lettuce. All I ever buy is iceberg. So he will need his own little salad each night.

Expect pics later tonight.

Last edited:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't they have pellets for those things? or are you supposed to mix the diet?

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From the research ive done, its best to give them a varied veggie diet. Besides.....pellets are boring. watching him eat is so fun. H eats then sleeps for a while. Hes found a little pit above a heat pad that he seems to like. Whenever I take him out hes always warm. In a few days, his lighting should arrive, so in the meantime im gonna let him bask outside for a few hours a day.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i seen some pretty rare tortoise on animal planet i think, called east african speckled tortoise full grown they rarely reach 4" they also only lay 1 egg per year, they were so awesome!--Jeff