Switching homes

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After my T. comes out of hiding (if that EVER happens :)) I was thinking about switching her to a larger enclosure. Is there a certain way to go about this or do I just set it up and put her in there?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not clear exactly what you are asking. Is the problem how to capture and move the T? Or are you wanting to know what special things you should do to the new enclosure?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And specie please! It's much different moving a N. chromatus and a Haplo.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just curious how to make her feel comfortable or how to avoid putting her into any kind of shock. She's a Aphonapelma sp.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i wouldn't think there would be too much shock involved. as long as it isn't molting, it should be just fine. granted there will be a little stress, but that is unavoidable if you're going to give it a new home...

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just prepare your new enclosure and give attention to the finer detail, take your time setting it up so you do not have to go into it again after putting the T in to make adjustments. Once that is done Deli cup your T in the old enclosure and put her into the new. Leave her alone, let her adjust and she'll be fine.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She's going to hate the new enclosure at first no matter what you do because it's not "home". Do as described above and she'll adjust. Within a month she'll be settled in.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some terrestrials will lay down a layer of web that will be like a blanket (mixed with dirt). I move a chunk, or even the whole thing, to the new enclosure when re-housing. This helps with the whole "not feeling at home" thing.

-=ICM=-

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay so I've made the switch. She had, in her previous home, been "locked up" in her hide... preparing for a molt perhaps. I checked to make sure there wasn't a fresh molt and she hadn't even started so I moved her to the new terrarium. She made a beeline for the top and I closed the lid just before she made her escape. Now for the past two days she's been hanging out upside down on the screen. I'm getting worried that she's starting to have difficulties staying put up there or is perhaps still trying to molt. At first she was nearly flat against the screen and now looks like she's in an "aggressive posture" with her butt in the air and legs almost fully extended. And remeber this is all upside down. I don't want her to fall because she's moved herslef over the top of her new enclosure. Is she in any danger or just being a T.?