Maggots?

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just read someone else's post in another thread about maggots, and it got me to thinking. Could you feed slings the maggots you buy at bait and tackle shops? I wouldn't put them in an adults cage where they could get into the soil, but I don't see why you couldn't put them in with a sling. (I have a boehmei sling coming soon, and I don't have easy access to pinheads.)
Thanks
Tamara

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
sounds reasonable. Nice soft juicy maggots for the little sling babies. I have been letting the large meal worms get to the pupae stage before they become beetles and then I pop the head off, it's like a giant sippy cup of food.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, I think they'd be nice and soft for a sling. I'm just wondering if they have chewing mouthparts that could be a problem. I think they're just fly maggots--adult flies have sucking mouthparts, what do fly maggots have?

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Well since maggots only eat decaying flesh or substances I would tend to think it's not a very hard mouth. And being that they are pretty small I would think a sling would just walk away if it was bothered. I think anyway.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course! Sometimes we get so worried about details we forget common sense. Even the slowest and most lethargic of slings could outrun an aggressive scary maggot!
Haha!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, they are full of protein as well. I have looked for them, since I'd love to feed some to my slings, but they seem to be hard to come by here.
A perfect sling food!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maggots are an excellent food source for spiderlings. Don't use the dyed (red?) ones, as I believe the dye is toxic for tarantulas.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks all, that settles it. I live on the edge of the city and every gas station carries maggot bait. Even in winter maggots are available, because ice fishing is a common sport here. I'm pleased! Now I don't have to pull the legs off crickets. Eewww!
Tamara

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha! I guess you're right! But I used to fish with my Dad as a child, and I figure if could skewer a maggot on a hook, surely I can toss one in for my boehmei. However, that was a long time ago...:( :?
I just bought some maggots today, as my boehmei sling arrives tomorrow. I admit, they look worse now than they used to!
Tamara

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I used maggots as a live food for rearing young birds and getting adults into condition.A great food source.What you should do though is rinse the maggots under cold water.This helps release any contaminants the maggot has in it's guts/intestines.A quick cold water rinse for a minute is all it takes.You can also very easy culture your own maggots.Just take a "small" peice of meat and hang it in the corner of your yard away from where it can be smelled.Very quickly flies attract,lay eggs and produce maggots.Keep a container under the meat.The maggots will fall off the meat and into the container.....peace..

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Five replies...lol...kept saying "connection timed out" meantime it was posting them...time for a new server!.....peace..

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I THINK pelo used maggots for rearing young birds...I'm not sure....:D ;P

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did I mention I used them for rearing live birds...lol...very high in protein and easily digestible...and they can't bite..they'd be excellent for small slings...peace..

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen double posts before, but quintuple posts!!??? LOL I guess you learn something new every day as I would never have thought of maggots for feeding the T.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Pete for your contribution. Thanks Pete for your contribution. Thanks Pete for your contribution. etc...;P ;P

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a way to get maggots is too put meat in a jar and put a cloth tightly over it and the flys should lay eggs on the sheet allowing u to easily get the maggots

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eww, I'd rather pull the legs off of dozen upon dozens of crickets, but if I had slings I guess I coud handle it......

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your own culture of maggots, in a hung-up(that right?) piece of rotting meat, Yurg.
Although as food for slings it seems viable..hmm.